Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox oil - top up or replace

glasgow

Hello everyone.

Yesterday I removed the top-up plug from the 5 speed gearbox of my 2003, K series, 1.8L, no oil came out.

- I don't know what is current oil in the gearbox but if I am just topping up, is there an issue of mixing different GL4 (75W-90, 75W-80 or 80W-90)? and if ok to mix, which one I should use (road use with occasional trackdays)

- If i want to replace the gearbox oil, can I do it through the top-up plug hole (very tight space) or I have to remove the top plate (which I am not keen to do). 

- during filling, and in order to get as much oil in, should I  jack the car from the front or the rear please?

Thank you for your help.

Ahmed

As Jonathan suggests, it is not a good idea to try and get more oil in than the filler plug will allow with the car level as you could get leaking seals. Re the filler plug access, my car is a later model with the Mazda box so the following may not apply.  Lift back the carpet from the passenger lower footwell along the side of the transmission tunnel. You might find there is a large removable grommet that allows access to the filler plug.

What slightly confuses me is we aim at oil level dribbling from the filler plug ie the oil level has to be "ABOVE" the level of the plug. If the oil level is "at" or "below" the level of the plug, oil will not dribble when opening the plug and would need top up. That's why I thought we may need tilting or special pressure pump. 

Thank you John for the links.

• Area Representative

Recently assisted a local member to service his Sigma 140 with Type 9 gear box. Factory 'built' car.

Took plug out, no oil dribble. Decided tie wrap test irrelevant & proceeded to fill.......THREE QUARTERS OF A LITRE LATER THE OVERSPILL OCCURED !!

Order the oil as a JIC.

Had the same worries as you along with a slightly noisy layshaft in neutral so decided to try and replace gearbox oil in my 1990 Supersprint with type 9 gearbox.
Couldn't get the plug out because there was no way to wind it out before it hit the tunnel let alone getting a syphon tube in.
Luckily, I could see the top of the box in the engine bay and after removing the washer bottle and pump I could just get to all the bolts on the top plate.
Sucked all oil out - I was absolute sludge - evil stuff, quite suprised how it looked.  Car has only done 10K. 
Replaced with 1.2L of GL4.
Not sure if you have the same access.  

Couldn't get the plug out because there was no way to wind it out before it hit the tunnel let alone getting a syphon tube in.

That's unusual. There's usually room to get the plug out even without making it easier with a hole in the tunnel.

AFAIK the smallest possible tool is a cut down section of hex section in a *ratchet ring wrench. 

Is there something different about Sevens before my 1998 on which there is enough room?

Thanks

Jonathan

* But do make sure that it's the right type of ratchet...