Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear calipers

chopper79

Hi

One of my rear calipers has a leak at the piston (From reading the forum this looks to be a fairly common fault as some older 2009 calipers were poorly reconditioned parts), so I am going to replace both and change the solid brake lines to flexible lines.

Are these the correct calipers?

https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=562_588&products_id=13593

Also, are these the correct right and left parts from Caterham.

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/brake-hoses/1135-brake-hose-3-way-to-lh-rear-caliper.html?search_query=Brake+hose&results=418

Thanks to anyone that can offer advice.

Regards

Christian

Just an FYI, CC now fit new calipers, not remanufactured.  Obviously they are based on a copy of the Ford unit, but they also have the back of the caliper machined for clearance with the radius arm.   Worth £130 a side, i.e. double Big Redd?   I don't know.

Either buy a service kit from Big Redd if you're up for doing it yourself, provided of course that the piston and caliper cylinders are in good condition, or go for their service exchange units.

Before you refit, check the archive for tips on bleeding the rears as they can be problematic to get the last bit of air out.  You'll also need a wind-back tool to get the pistons right back into the bore.

Paul

Re the braided hoses, CC's little joke is that 77201L is for the right side and 77201R is for the left but I found that neither would fit properly anyway so I had bespoke ones made at the local hose supplier (the excellent Spectrum Hose, High Wycombe, south Bucks.) and they turned out to be cheaper into the bargain.  Mine's standard de dion with standard calipers (aaaagh), on the subject of which might it be worth considering upgrading - anything is better, if nothing else you'd take a ton off the unsprung weight?  Hi spec do a conversion but you'd need to be creative with the handbrake mechanism as it needs a pull from the vehicle centre rather than fore/aft.

Good luck!

Or there's the option to fit VW Golf alloy calipers - reduce unsprung weight and all that - though there can be clearance issues with some wheel types/designs/diameters.  I got a pair of new calipers of the type needed for £83.00 ...  Apart from having to sort out the nipples for the handbrake connections (which was easily solved), it was a very simple swap.

FWIW ...

The VW Golf calipers have just 38mm pistons; the Sierra ones are either 41 of 42 (don't remember off the top of my head) but this will give a significant change in the brake bias. I have been struggling with not having enough brake force on the rear until I fitted RC8 pads (and had to add a bias valve to avoid further "interesting" moments at the end of the long straight).