Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sat nav

Thornberry

I use Tyre to Travel on the PC for the planning, then export the route as an itn TomTom file to a TomTom Go 500 via Micro SD card. It is an older model but picked up on ebay, it was chosen for this ability to use SD card because as observed above new versions don't allow this functionality.

Generally works very well one disadvantage is, if wanting to do a route re-plan on the PC while en route Tyre needs internet connectivity for the mapping. There is another App version of Tyre that is more flexible in this area and allows Maps to be down loaded. I also believe that the App version of Tyre is more integrated with the TomTom App allowing transfer to the newer devices but have no actual experience of this.

Tom Tom's allow you to download routes from your computer although it's not well advertised. MyDrive I believe they call it. I have a 6200 that has a constant internet connection. You simply plan a route on the website or upload one from blatmaps and the next time I use the satnav it has automatically been downloaded. It's very slick.

• Area Representative

Worth having a look at motorbike sat navs as they can have a feature to plan / use twisty roads.  Though, they tend to be significantly more expensive than car sat nav.

If you are thinking about trying to listen to your satnav using bluetooth then I know the only Garmin that works is the Zumo - other Garmin models with bluetooth will not pair with a bluetooth headset - I could never establish why the bluetooth headsets would not work with the standard bluetooth satnav when they will pair with a phone etc. and Garmin were singularly unhelpful in explaining why too!

I ended up buying a Zumo and it works very well with my bluetooth headset.

Do not know about TomToms.

Sena also do a push to talk module which pairs with a bluetooth headset which should allow one to use a 'walkie talkie' through the same headset being used for the satnav/music/phone etc! I have bought one but not tried to set it up yet!! 

Garth

I use a Garmin Zumo bike satnav and, while they are more expensive, they have bluetooth built in and are pretty waterproof. The bluetooth can be linked to your phone but if you have an intercom with a bluetooth dongle, its a bit of a faff to set up. I only got it all working once and couldn't be bothered since.

Steve

• Leadership Team

Garmin Zumo ... nuff said.

I've had a Zumo 550 and more recently a Zumo 590LM with dedicated mounts both on the bike and in the Caterham.  I'll likely be selling the 590LM soon, I've just changed my motorbike so have moved to a BMW Navigator 6 which fully integrates with the new bike ... it's pretty well a Zumo 590 in a BMW box!

Stu.