Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Painting wheels

Paul Philpot

You can get 'em stripped, treated and powder coated in any finish you want for £20 ea. at City Wheel Refurbishment in Brum.  They do a great job-not worth doing 'em yourself!.

When was that, please, Paul? A few years ago there were both plaudits and brickbats... it would be good to know that they're now reliable.

Thanks

Jonathan

I had some done last year.  Never had a problem with using them, although I saw the various comments and ignored them, as there is always someone expecting a £160 job for £20. I've got a set of badly prepped Caterham anthracites where the paint is flaking that are next to go there. I use these on-track with slicks which need changing, so I'm going to go the whole hog and fork out the princely sum of £30 ea for them to remove the old slicks, strip and paint the wheels, then mount and balance the new slicks *thumb_up* - that's what I call a deal.

I usually leave them there for a couple of weeks, but they will do a same day service for a tenner or so each extra.

I would like to (one day) treat our rolling restoration 2001 MINI Cooper to recoated wheels, but Ill need to find another set of wheels to continue running it.  This makes it a bit of a pain as Ill have to buy/ borrow a set from the internet for a week or two while the original wheels are redone, then shift on the other set.  The obvious time to do it is when a new set of tyres is needed, which will be this year sometime.  Ideally Ill find someone local with a spare set of MINI wheels & tyres kicking about I can borrow....   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Paul.

I took in two wheels with knackered (ex trackday) CR500s fitted along with two new ZZSs as replacements, plus two wheels with almost new ZZSs already fitted.  When I first asked TWS for a quote, they pointed out that they charge a fee of £12 per wheel to fit tyres not supplied by them. I was quite happy for them to supply and fit two ZZSs, but it transpired their tyre supplier was unable to source them. As a result, TWS waived the 2x £12 fee.  Very fair, I thought.

In all, four refurbs plus tyre removal, refitting and balancing came out at £302 including VAT.  That also included the L7C 15% discount (only on the refurb cost, though). 

JV   

An update...

I've just collected the wheels, and have to say TWS have done a brilliant job.  The colour match with the original anthracite is so close I can't really detect a difference, and the coating is lustrous.  Time will tell how durable it proves to be, of course, but if all goes well, I'll be taking four more anthracites to them in the near future.

JV