Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K1600 supersport eu2 difficult starting from cold

James D

I'm experiencing an annoying starting problem from cold with my 1600k series supersport.

Trying to start the car has become an issue as when I press the starter button the car fires up & starts, then after less than a second it cuts out. After repeated starting and sometimes having to pump the throttle, the car will eventually start. It is a real shame and a bit of a downer to the start of each drive out especially as the car runs perfectly well when it starts and drives thereafter.

The battery is new which I was told would fix the issue but it has not sadly. Any advice would be welcomed.

Kind regards, James

Hi James, can't offer much advise, but can say I have a similar starting experience I believe (2001 car with a 1800 k of unknown age....c. 10 years since built on jenvey and emerald). In the cold, car turns over quite a lot and will "catch" after a good few turns. It then fires very slowly and will sometimes die. Then restart and catches again and will tickover very lumpy (almost hearing each fire). I just leave it for a moment (always checking that the oil pressure comes up). Slowly the car will clear it's throat and start to find a steady idle. I leave still as I hear the quiet clack of the tappets filling. There is a fairly heavy smell of fuel throughout and a light fuel mist from the exhaust. After a couple of minutes though, car achieves a clean and steady idle, temperatures and oil pressure all good and runs sweets. Thereafter, idle is very good, very steady and never even close to a concern. It will also poottle around and deal with traffic no issues at all (to the extent passengers have commented how jeckyl and Hyde the car is). So I have just accepted that its a fairly cammy engine, a high compression and a map to give lots of top end power so never going to be the best starting in the cold?

Not sure whether mine is EU2 or 3. But yes, I just accept a slightly rough few mins for the wonders that lie beyond once all is warmed up! Will be starting today as had the exhaust off yesterday to put a little silicon around the primaries where there was a little blow and running up to temperature in the garage on axle stands and expect the same rough few mins as its cold oop North today!

Agree with above as a start.

Do not be tempted to to 'play' with the accelerator pedal until the car has started as this tends to upset the system.

Also try putting jump leads on when it is cold so you know you have full cranking voltage available. If the voltage is low the ECU does not like it and could be playing up as a result. A cold battery is not a happy one and it may be that yours has poor cold weather performance.

• Area Representative

Try checking the ECU earth connection. Mine had a poor connection and cold starting gradually got worse and worse, until it would not start, unless petrol was squirted into the T/B’s. Once hot it started and ran fine. The earth connection on mine was not a direct connection to the chassis. It is now and now it starts.

Piers

• 2 weeks later...

Glad it's fixed. What did you do... fit a new battery?

Too much voltage drop for something electronic happens surprisingly often in 7s, which is why I usually recommend measuring the battery voltage at rest, minimum during cranking and at 3,000 rpm early in the diagnostic process.

Trying to start the car has become an issue as when I press the starter button the car fires up & starts, then after less than a second it cuts out.

But yours didn't sound like that... 

Jonathan