Click here if you are having website access problems ×

RADTEC Rad leaking from top left corner near top inlet

nickh7

Have exactly the same problem. From what I could gather the options are

1. Take it to a local radiator repair shop

2. Try and plug the leak yourself with JB Weld or similar

3 Send it back to Radtec who will likely tell you it's knackered but may offer a discount on a replacement depending on the age of your original.

My approach is going to be all of the above in that order. Please let me know if you get any better advice.

The copper rad it's material to fix it on the rubber bobbins is thinner so it bents easier without putting stress on the core, whereas the alloy rads have much thicker sides and therefore put much more stress on the core if the sides are not perfectly aligned with the rubber bobbins.

As I was 10 miles from Radtec after a business meeting I  dropped it off with them. Interestingly they said don't use the Comma  coolant as the pink stuff attacks the Ali. All their issues come from cars running pink coolant! Trouble is ive just flushed the system and filled it with the pink stuff . I bought a new bottle of the comma to refill after the sump issue. Looks like another flush and fill with Blucol ☹️

...they said don't use the Comma  coolant as the pink stuff attacks the Ali. All their issues come from cars running pink coolant!

Their use of the term "pink" is a big vague.  Did they happen to say which particular Comma product they didn't like?  G30 concentrated (violet)? G40 (also violet)? G30 ready-mixed (red)?

Out of interest, which Comma product did you use?

JV