Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mirror upgrade options

allan.guy

I have a roadsport sv and I am looking to upgrade the mirrors I need to be able to look behind when on the road and when reversing in and out of my long drive/alley.  

Best options I have seen so far are there are the Demon-tweeks Pit kings fitted to the screen uprights but the compromise is you loose the ability to open the doors fully.  Then there were the SPAs mounted on the brackets that member Eccles made which would have been great but he does not seem to be making these any more.

Any suggestions including how to mount

TIA

Allan

You soon get used to not opening the doors onto the bonnet. I fitted Large carbon effect convex mirrors from Car Builder Solutions. Rock solid mounting on to stanchion. ... need to drill 5.0mm and tap M6. Use M6-10 cap head socket set screws. Adjustable mirror heads on proper ball joints. Excellent rearward vision ... even on passenger side. I have photos but can't post here from phone.

I tried the Pitking style mirrors. Ok

Advantages were the great price and easy to fit on stanchion. 

Disadavantages: flat glass and small size meant I really couldn't see anything, huge blind spot as cars pass on motorway.

I like to have a bit of my car viewable in the mirror, just a hint of rear wing for reference, so I decided to try mirrors with a convex shape. I settled on these: Kiwav on eBay. I bought from the U.K. Seller

IMG_6240.PNG.3c32679b2440c1e94a78ac52f0f0f6fd.PNG

To fit I had to just enlarge one of the holes on the lower hinge to 8mm and the plastic hinge. I found I couldn't quite adjust the kerbside mirror enough so bought two in line 8mm joints from SGS engineering,  These allow enough adjustment to get into exactly the right place. Then I put a dab of JB weld into the joint to fix it solid. I used an 8mm stud through the hinge/stanchion hole and a bolt the other side to fix in place. A little dab of loctite on the threads stop it undoing in the wind on motorway runs. The blue glass tint is really light and they are available in black.

i find the convex lens excellent, proper viewing angles and so much safer on the motorway. The kerbside mirror is really great now too.

IMG_6241_1.JPG.b413e8f9f63a15fe06d9854f6283e138.JPG

IMG_6243.PNG.c74ad8193b287c15f468db373a5e7419.PNG

CC2A7ED4-C3E1-40D8-8FCD-F9C0606C2726.jpeg.93a15ac152f166d3ed557ded7821bd46.jpeg

Hi Stridey,

Thanks for your post regarding the KiWav mirrors and the modifications that you made in order to fit them which i found very helpful.

I have been looking for some nice chrome mirrors for my seven for a while now and these seem just the job.

May I ask which specific pattern of KiWav mirror you got as they seem to have a wide selection available on Ebay. I saw some labeled as "KiWAV Classic MX chrome rearview mirrors CNC convex M8 x1.25 scooter moped atv" were these the ones you purchased?

Also, am I correct in thinking that the inline joints from SGS Engineering that you refer to were shown as "Axial/Inline M8 Ball Stud To Fit M8 Thread" on their web site?

Thanks for the info - the mirrors look great on your seven.

- Paul

Sinbad, yes those are them and the inline ball joints too. Quite a complex shape on the mirrors but I'm impressed with the viewing angle now I've used them for a few days. 

i also needed 2x m8 30mm studs to screw into the ball stud and then the mirror base.

You'll need to loctite the joints too, to stop them drooping at motorway speeds. To drill out the stanchion I used a stepped bit.

I just just took some more pics, so you can perhaps judge how they look with the ball joint extensions. You 'may' be able to create the same tilt needed to see better by drilling out at the joint behind the mirror itself, but for my height and seat arrangement I needed to just bring them out a bit more hence using the ball joint, fixed in place with JB Weld. Although that joint is fixed, you still have adjustment for rotation and angle with the mirror head itself.

IMG_6251.JPG.06da98e7314bfa6ea759c39fe6f88228.JPG

IMG_6253.JPG.0725807db48952835e49f05241cd126e.JPG

IMG_6252.JPG.4181a3d62c84be4b272c5bd3146ed99d.JPG

Hi Stridey,

Thanks for the confirmation of the parts required and the additional info and photos.

I have a liking for shiny, chrome or polished alloy parts on my seven and have tried the bullet shaped tripod mounted mirrors, but these were fitted with flat glasses and the field of view from them was next to useless.

I really like the mirrors you have fitted and am persuaded that they will work well on my seven.

Thanks once again for taking the time to post your method of fitting them - appreciated.

- Paul

It works both ways Sinbad... you've just confirmed that the bullet shaped ones don't have a great field of view. (I was interested in those for a vintage look at one point)

The convex on the Kiwav seems more pronounced at one end of the lens so actually gives a really nice view of the car wing, but also a non distorted view of the rear/outwards away from the car.

im particularly happy with the passenger side view, it allows me to see the kerb, but also directly backwards, supplementing the rear view mirror.

If you go this route I hope you get the angles working for you too.

• 3 weeks later...