Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What wheels to put on my 420r?

Chris Burr

I've run both 13s and 15s on my 140 Supersport and its certainly true the 13s offer a better handling set up and better options on tyres for ultimate handling. On a track I'd say they are a must have. For looks however and perhaps touring the 15s are better. I'm a tart.. I like the looks of the 15s. 

Also changed from 15" to 13" a while ago and I think the ride is slightly better - I actually prefer the look of the 13' - particularly on the slightly wider rears! More second hand tyres seem to become available for 13" rims if you ever need them?

13s work better as you can tell from the comments 

Can't see why you would want an R pack, a pack which according to Caterham is track focused, be compromised with wheels (and lack of tyre choice) for looks, after all the tyre is actually the only thing touching the ground without it nothing makes scene. 

I had an K series R300 in 2004 which had 15" wheels as I felt it looked better. I now have a 420R with 13" wheels (6" on the front and 8" on the back) and it definitely rides better than my R300 did. However I didn't track my R300 and have yet to track my 420R. The 420R is, in my opinion, very easy to drive on the road thanks to the Duratecs characteristics (lots of torque etc)....with the caveat that you cannot explore the performance. As its likely to be relevant to the comments above I have 5 speed not 6. Good luck with the new car !

Chris B

You know the real answer is both... 13" for your track days and 15" for all other activities.

I went for the 15" wheels on my 270R (nowhere near as powerful or as much fun on track as your 420R will be I'm sure) and got myself a set of second hand 13" wheels (6" front, 8" rear) that I am more comfortable getting marked, chipped, scuffed, pebble dashed when on track. Allows you some slightly more aggressive tyre choices also for your track days.

I too think the Orcus 15" look better but also agree that the wider rears on 13" look good. In an ideal world purely from a looks perspective would be some 15" Orcus alloys that are wider at the rear - similar to the 15" multi-spoke wheels that the CSR variants came with.

Have a great time.

What tyres are you using on those rims? Are the rolling radii the same? 

I have two sets of Apollos, one with CR500s and one with ZZRs. The ZZRs are slightly wider and taller but still fit under the wings OK. The RR is 3 or 4 mm higher on the ZZRs which is as far as I'd like to have them vary. 

When I change the CR500s I'll fit ZZS for the road which should mean they're exactly the same. 

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a 2nd hand R400D with 15" wheels.
I swapped them out for 13" and have not looked back. For reference I compete in sprints and do plenty of track days.   Second hand slicks are dirt cheap and plenty of tire choice in new.
13"s feel more agile and imo... suit the look of the Caterham better.