Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mixing CR500 and ZZS tyres

John Vine

That's a thought, John.  But I'm not sure how marketable my fronts would be.  They're about 4mm, but suffering from the usual uneven wear caused by the neg camber.  And if I don't sell them, I've wasted some serviceable tyres!

So, back to my original question: is it OK to mix in this way? 

JV

It's widely deprecated, but not as much as mixing at the same end.

Even if you could practice with the effects on grip and slip angle on a track etc it still won't tell you what will happen when it's cold or wet or otherwise different...

I'd follow JNC's plan.

Jonathan

According to my calculations, the diameter of the ZZS will be almost 20 mm more than the CR500, so I'll need at least 10 mm clearance under the cycle wing stays.  I've just checked, and there's more than enough room under the stays, but the outer edge of the wing could end up perilously close to the tyre wall. 

The simplest solution might be to bend the stays up a little.  Has anyone tried this in situ?

JV 

Mine ended up very tight, but so far so good with clearance being adequate. My CR500s were 7 years old so might not be the best comparison but there is notably more grip with the ZZS which might need some caution. And of course, you'll need to adjust your ride height to get things corrected for the rear ZZSs, then again when you add the front ZZS. I bit the bullet and changed all four, but they were ~3mm ish and of course very old.

Thats disappointing I thought CR500 where being kept in production for the foreseeable future.  Ive fitted the 205 rears my older de-dion and clearances are tight.  I don't want to go up to 215 rears, and I really like the nimbleness of the car on the lighter, lower profile tyres. *thumbs_down_thumb*

Unfortunately, I don't need any at the moment, and the wallet is weak!  

• Leadership Team

Is the ZZS really a suitable replacement for the CR500 as a general all-round tyre? According to Avon's own information the wet performance of the ZZS is substantially less than the CR500 (and evidently not dissimilar to the ZZR), not damp road performance but proper rain. Having aquaplaned badly in a Caterham I'd prefer a tyre that can shift plenty of water ...

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/sites/default/files/CR500-TW1020_EU.jpg

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/sites/default/files/ZZS-BC1028-EU-2.jpg

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/sites/default/files/ZZR-BC1026-EU-2.jpg

• Area Representative

Stuart

I note your comments, but I've just bought a set of ZZS's to replace my CR500s, but not yet fitted them, so can't comment fully yet. My decision was made based on the practical experience of seeing ZZS tyres used by the Caterhams at the Race of Remembrance in absolutely horrendous conditions when track was extremely wet and they performed well. I'll hope they perform just as well on the road.