Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Re-lacquering a carbon nosecone - cost?

danielcwsmith

Hi,

Has anyone had a carbon nose re-lacquered? Mines quite tired looking and I'd like to give it a bit of a smarten up, but would be interested if anyone's had it done and at what cost? New noses are expensive, but mine's pretty banged up too, so if it's really expensive there seems little point.

Many thanks

Danny

PJA in Ashford Middlesex are doing a lot of re lacquering on 7 parts; Ive just had some rear wings done by them & they look great. I think you'll be looking around the £200 mark.

I might have a brand new CC nose cone in carbon at substantially less than the £700 CC want for one if you want to go the replacement route?

Phil.

JV, the short answer is yes! My dash was the original (I assume) from 15 years ago and was horribly dull and faded (with a brown haze/patina) with the carbon weaves blurring into one another. A good treatment of AG BJ really brought it back to life.

I don't have a "before" pic unfortunately, but this was the result...

WhatsAppImage2017-03-05at17_59_31.jpeg.98c0a1506c6eb8ae0939610b22390550.jpeg

Also works wonders on switches, light blocks and vinyl...

WhatsAppImage2017-03-05at17_32_28.jpeg.e2b62545fd9b21c8724d78079d2f328c.jpeg

Thanks for that -- looks better than mine.

By way of research, I sent some photos of my dash to AutoGlym and asked for their advice.  They suggested Vinyl and Rubber Care or Instant Show Shine.  They advised against Bumper and Trim as it would "make the dashboard  too greasy and this will in turn attract dust very quickly and make it look worse".  Make of that what you will!  I use Vinyl and Rubber Care on my boot cover, doors and tonneau, so I'll give that a try first.

JV

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that's the one. What is the relacquering process? Would it be possible to remove dials and switches and relacquer the dash in-situ? Just wonder whether one could sand the lacquer off and treat with some form of varnish or a lacquer, probably sprayed on?