Click here if you are having website access problems ×

which car

gulf 1

I have a 1400 k Series Classic at present which I am considering replacing.I would be grateful if anyone could give me any thoughts  on suitable cars.It would be used mainly for blats and touring and possibly the odd trackday.What are the merits of a 1.6 sigma engine versus a 2.0 duratec.I am thinking of a 5 speed box with 13" wheels wide track suspension etc.Any views would be appreciated. 

• Area Representative

Always think that the 1.4 is generally under-rated Seven.

They are little fliers when revved (anything above 5,000rpm) and generally can make good progress apart from a lack of torque. Both the ones I had ran 5 speed boxes and were fine although I understand the six speed was developed for the 1.4. Good on track with sticky tyres and an apollo.

Have you considered upgrading your current car or is there a particular reason that you want to change?

regards Paul.

• Area Representative

Hi Dave

I changed recently from the X flow to a 150 Sigma , although it is the SV version, the engine really feels smooth, good torque and revs well. There are several options for the Sigma on the power front to choose from. I am not that familiar with the Duratec range. Like you I much prefer the 5 speed box.

Kingsley. 

The Sigma engine has better clearance under the sump than a Duratec car.

The 125 Sigma (which I have) is nice and torquey and works well on the road with the 5 speed box, as it needs to be worked to get a move on, but can go gently and not feel over geared. It does lack the top end for track days though.  The 140 engine would be my ideal Seven, it's a shame upgrades cost so much. The nice thing with the 1.6 is the torque isn't enough to make it difficult to drive in bad conditions.

If you are looking for effortless performance, I would image the 175bhp Duratec would be the way to go, and of course they can give a lot more when tuned.

I have the sigma 140 SuperSport and on the road it's absolutely fantastic to drive, enough torque that you don't have to constantly change gear, but still needs revving to make fast progress. The beauty of it on the road is that you can use all of the power. 

On track it's still brilliant fun but long straights it can be a bit frustrating. However I'm told that this can be largely resolved with the aero screen fitted.

That said, I would recommend that you go for the SuperSport conversion for your current engine (135bhp from memory). Circa £1500

Tom

I think around 140-150hp is the sweet spot for Caterhams for on the road and bit of fun on the track, having had 120hp, 150hp and now around 200hp....

My Duratec will drive from around 25-30mph in 5th all the way up (5 speed with 3.9 Diff), so very docile when you want it to be.....followed by a good amount of power if you want it!

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for all your input,having looked at all your comments and speaking to other Duratec owners I have pretty much decided I will go for a used 2.0L Duratec.I didn,t want to spend a lot uprating my present car when I could get the performance I am after from an engine that is not working too hard.