Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fastener suppliers

7 wonders of the world

I use suppliers that I find on eBay for ordinary fasteners (such as those for the latest garden bench renovation) but this thread has made me realise that I don't for critical bits, and prefer to go somewhere with a known reputation. Is that irrational? The key factor might be the chance of getting something that doesn't meet the nominal specification.

Jonathan

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead....

I'm a bit fed up with not having the right nuts and bolts handy, and having to go out to buy individual washers when working on the car.  So I'm going to order a big assorted set, probably fom Namrick.

Mainly consisting of spring washers and nylock nuts as these seem to be the consumables that I like to replace. Hopefully you guys can help me with the shopping list and suggest anything I've missed:

• Assorted hex bolts, cap-head screws, nuts, nylocks, washers & spring washers.

I have some questions that hopefully you engineers can help with..

Are class 8.8 bolts and 12.9 cap-heads suitable for everything on the car?  e.g. Are there any joints that require a higher class of bolt, or is there any danger from over specifying a fastener (I understand that HT bolts have different failure modes that could make them unsuitable for certain applications)?

Do I need course thread or fine thread fasteners? Or a selection of each?  Namrick sell these assorted packs separately so I need to choose.

Lastly, it seems that there aren't many imperial fasteners left on the car.  What are peoples thoughts on the ratio of imperial to metric that I should order?

Cheers *thumbup*

martyn:

Is this for a build, or a specific piece of work or just general maintenance?

Have you had a look at Shaun's list, above? That will give the rough mix of types across the 7. Then I'd use Charles' fastener packs for specific tasks.

I usually have an assorted set of metric bits around for other projects as well as the 7.

Beware stainless steel fasteners from the point of view of strength unless you are sure what you're doing.

Jonathan 

No it’s not for a build or piece of work.  Just something that that will be very useful generally when working on the car.

I've seen the spreadsheet and scans of the fastener packs, however the fastener packs are quite out of date and not a single one of them is referenced from the assembly guide that I follow.  That’s why I prefer to match up new washers and bolts with the exact item I take off the car and is why it’s such a PITA when I don’t have the right one.   If I had all the fastener pack sheets that are used in the assembly guide then life would be easy.  In fact I don’t know why Caterham doesn't include them all at the end of the pdf.  They're kind of required because reading one doesn't make sense without the other.

Having just taken my sump off, one of the bolts almost rounded off so reckon now is a good time to replace them. I have to remove the sump every two years to replace the baffle. 

Is it recommended to replace with 12.9 high tensile or is lesser strength acceptable?

Vauxhall don't supply anymore so have to go down the eBay/one of the above suggested fastener routes

thanks

David