Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Overheating following radiator change - k series

philbert

Had to change the radiator on a 2004 standardk series 1.8. I am a total imbecile when it comes to engines, but I thought it would be relatively straightforward. So changed the radiator fine, put in more coolant - althoughit would only take 2-2.5 litres - and started the engine. The top of the radiator got hot very quickly but the bottom stayed cold with the needle going right up to close to the red. I then revved the engine, the needle started going down and  the bottom of the radiator got hot. Took it out for a run and the needle stayed half way until I gave it some welly when the needle went back up to just below red. It then floated between there and half. Left it idling when I got back and the fan started, but the temperature stayed just below the red.

I am assuming there's a sticking valve somewhere, but any advice gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

You have almost certainly got air trapped in the cooling system. Most likely around the thermostat area, which prevents the thermostat from opening. The K Series are particularly difficult to fill with coolant without getting airlocks. I'm not sure how completely you drained the cooling system but you must have drained it right down to the bottom radiator hose. It will normally take arounf 5 litres to fill it properly from that state, so with 2-2.5 litres your are nowhere near full!

There are many methods described on earlier threads involving jacking the car up at odd angles and all sorts of compliocated rituals. Here is my method which has worked fine first time many times on a number of K Series Caterhams.

Firstly, has your thermostat been drilled? If not, or if you don't know what this means, you need to drill a small 2mm hole in the metal flange of the thermostat (NOT the plastic housing!). Make sure that the hole is at the top when the thermostat is fitted (the thermostat only fits one particular way, so mark where is the top before removing it then drill there). This allows air to bleed away as you fill the system and makes a world of difference. The is plenty on this in the archives and if you need more info I or somebody else will be more than happy to help on here.

Secondly, do you have a bleed tee? This is a small plastic T-piece with a screw on cap installed in the top heater matrix hose (or bypass hose if you don't have a heater) such that when lifted up with one hand it becomes the highest point in the system? If not, you can get them for about £5 on eBay and you really do need one. Again, plenty in the archives and help available here.

Might be worth draining it from the bottom radiator hose again and starting from scratch, keeping a track of how much you have put in.

So how to fill? Remove the expansion bottle cap, the bleed screw on the top of the radiator and the lid of the bleed tee. Open the heater valve to hot (if you have one). Start pouring coolant in to the bleed tee, holding it up high. Pour it very, very slowly to allow air to escape as it fills. Watch for coolant coming out of the radiator bleed screw hole and when it does, put the screw back in. Keep filling slowly from the bleed tee. Watch for the level rising in the expansion bottle and when it reaches the correct level, put the cap back on. Keep filling slowly from the bleed tee until it is brim full with the tee held up as high as you can, then put the lid back on. Job done.

If you have just tried pouring coolant into the expansion bottle you won't be anywhere near filling it.

Welcome to the K series cooling system!

As said by Paul, airlock. Probably the best way forward is to drain and start again. Jack front of the car up and very slowly fill from the top hose until the radiator is full. Plenty of squeezing of the bottom hose as well. If it keeps happening you may need to get the thermostat out and drill a 2mm hole in the flange and make sure the hole is at the top when re-fitting.

Thanks guys. Did the jacking up when I filled it and has the bleed outlet open at the top of the radiator. Drilling holes in thermostats is well beyond my comfort zone, but I'll empty the whole lot and try again using advice given.

All seemed so simple at the start......

*eek*

Phil,

I have drained and refilled my system more times than you can shake a stick at, and never had a problem. You don't need to drill a hole in the thermostat, and you don't need a bleed tee. The thermostat is not very easy to get at, especially if you're a spanner numpty! Not convinced about adding plastic tees into the system either. Over time the plastic becomes brittle, and can easily crack. Lots of issues a few years ago when CC fitted a plastic tee to one of the engines, can't remember which one? Also, if you overdo the jubilee clips, same scenario.

All you need to do, is basically what you have done, front up in the air, bleed screw in rad open, and add in lots of massaging/squeezing of the top and bottom rad hoses, and jobs a good un. Some people seem to think it's a difficult job, but it's really not hard. Just keep squeezing, good exercise to improve your grip strength!

See you soon.

Oz.....

With the front of the car jacked as high as you can and when you think you've filled the system and you have the coolant at the full level on the expansion tank, seal your lips around the neck of the tank and blow (as if blowing up a ballon) this forces the coolant through the system and, daft as it sounds, actually works.

It's the method that was employed at the factory when filling - just remember to blow not suck!