Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wrap to match polished ally?

simonpa

Simon, not a wrap exactly but have you considered a dip, this is one just down the road from me (Lingfield) http://www.southeastcustomcoatings.co.uk/page2.html, my neighbour had a few parts on his engine and his front wheel arches done on his Tiger and I am very impressed by the results. 

Have a view of the video at the bottom of the page.

Graham.

Sory should have added that he had them dipped in carbon not Ali. 

Hmm a couple of options there.

Grafityp doesn't appear to a shiny ali-style vinyl, only brushed and the 5m minimum order makes it quite expensive just for the nose.

However, the SCC hydro or spray coating looks doable - might even get wings done as well, if the prices are reasonable..  That may look a bit too bling though.

Thanks for the tips!

Wrapped wings and it took a bit of a learning curve but ended up with good results. Had some (quite a bit) over and had a go at the nose; fcuking impossible. I'm certain a pro could do it but I couldn't even with help. Go for a dip or spray or anything but diy wrap.

Rick

Hmm - sounds like wrapping may be a bit too difficult for me - might try the Pros.

Dipping sounded a good option, but SCC don't do the hydro any more.
He said he could probably get a good result in the chrome spray, but it's pretty expensive..

I've been wondering for some time what a complete chrome wrap of a Seven would look like, having seen a Veyron which had been done (which I quite liked) I noted the comments from people around and it is very much a Marmite subject people seem to love or hate it. I do wonder if it would make a Seven look like it had a stainless steel skin... and thus as if someone had built a car from a double griddle gas barbecue.

Having seen a few complete wrapped Sevens I wonder if having the car x-rayed as per the kind of thing L7 club member Stijn Luyck does, having that printed onto vinyl and applied to the car would look good, you could even add an x-Ray of the driver side on sitting in the car.

For me an unpainted Seven looks good with full carbon (nose, wings and aero) like some Superlights but the cost of that lot would probably out-budget an ally nose!

I've seen a couple of all-ali Caterhams online - one with an ali nose here:
http://www.mycaterham.com/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_149816/009.jpg
http://www.mycaterham.com/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_18705/DIR_199516/004.jpg

Didn't look as bling as the chrome Veyron, but would be quite a bit of work to keep shiny.

If money was less of an object, I'd just put carbon nose/wings on it...

I saw an ally nosed car at Penn Sevens some years ago (the first link might even be 'the car')  and can understand the attraction, somehow more desirable than (and really predates) Carbon. I think I'm right in remembering that the nose was so valuable (and vulnerable) that it was a special inclusion on the insurance policy.

I was going to wrap my previous 7 in Chrome vinyl about 8 years ago for the launch of a new chrome vinyl but the technology wasn't quite there and the manufacturers pulled it at the last minute. I originally wrapped it in digital print in 2001 and fancied a change. Things have moved on a lot since then and now there are several chrome wrap vinyls on the market (forget Grafityp IMO their vinyls are cheap for a reason and nobody I respect in the industry uses their products).

Although I've been wrapping vehicles for nearly 20 years now, I've never wrapped a car in chrome because no one wants to pay the £120/metre for the materials. I have several colleagues that have and none of them are particurlay glowing about it as they are not as conformable as normal cast PVC wrapping films. They look great from a distance but don't really stand close examination, so ideal for multi-millionaires to put on their Gumball cars for a few weeks but that's about it.