Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Harness question

Bob Shelley

You need to mount them with the lever of the red QR facing down.  That’s the most important thing as it is a safety issue.  After that, if possible, put them to the inside so they don’t dent the sideskin.

Also.. have a test fit with you in the seat to ensure you can get the lap belt tight enough.  If you're particularly skinny, you may want to go for the rearward belt mounting point.

• Area Representative

Depending on the age of the harnesses, it's possible to swap the buckle by stopping it and swapping the pins.

The straps are actually the same as each other.

Over ten years ago, I posted an illustrated guide of how to do it ( but I'd need to be at a PC to sort out a link to it now.......)

FYI, I ordered a LH and RH pair from Caterham recently. Even though the boxes were marked LH and RH, inside the harnesses were identical. I didn't fancy swapping one over, so they resupplied me a correct one.

Both mechanisms are now on the inside of the car, which I find is more convenient.

• Area Representative

And if the buckles are on the inside, the added benefit is that when you get out of the car, you can hook the levers on the buckles over the edge of your handbrake well/cavity (if you have one) so that you don't sit on the buckles when you clamber back in.

I swapped my buckles over to both be inside using Richard's instructions and am so glad I did. So much easier.