Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fixings for tillet seats

Zetec Rich

I want to fit some tillets soon, but i understand that they bolt to the aluminium floor and not on the two cross members like the old seats did. I hear that even with the strengtheners that the floor still bends is this true ?

If so has anyone done something different ?

No they DON'T "bolt in the same way as the leather seats ".

The leather seats bolt to sliders that bolt to rails (two per side) that in turn bolt to the chassis via two lugs at the rear and through a chassis cross bar at the front. Hence your leather seats are bolted (by a circutious route) to the chassis.

The Tillets are bolted to sliders or fixed mounts directly to the floor which should have the reinforcing channel underneath. Hence you can end up having seats that are effectively held in by the floor rivets.

The net result of this is that after a while your arse hangs out of the bottom of the car. How quickly this happens depends on how big your arse is. You cannot use the leather "bolt to the chassis" route if retro fitting the Tillets because the bolt fixings on the Tillets are of different spacing to the leather seats.

My arse is smallish so mine have lasted over a year.

At 4 counties last night FA was muttering about devising a more secure system that attaches to the chassis (I can only assume that his arse is bigger than mine).

Edited by - AVES on 22 Jan 2003 18:13:12

I have a tillet fixed the standard way ie. fixed to a frame, then slid into the runners which are fixed with 4 bolts through the floor and "channel" underneath. I have raced it in the Graduates series like that and had no problems with it moving at all even though I must weight 16 stone with all the gear on. I guess the 6 point harness helps. John Parker

There seems to be some confussion here (well at least i'm confussed

Are there various types of fixing kit ?

I'll be fitting these seats to an 1987 dedion and don't really trust the bolted to the floor arrangment I think

some sort of support on to the existing cross memeber and lugs would be more reassuring !!

*confused*

Zetec,

As you may or may not know, the Tillet seat fixings are set at a different width to the standard seats, so using the existing steel rails to mount the Tillets is not an option.

I had some new wider rails made up, this allows you to use the existing chassis mounts, and provides a wide enough base to bolt the sliding subframe or in my case Ali box section subframes. This solution doesn't stress the floor.

Let me know if you want some pics.

Rgds

Ian.

I've also got the Tillet to floor with channel underneath, with no fat ***e syndrome showing (but then I needed to add 20kg of weight to race, so I can't really be accused of having a fat ***e). The biggest test was the chicane at Knockhill, where the car really crashed down on the other side - I could feel the floor (and everything else) flexing, but it seemed to be OK. I wouldn't fancy taking a lardy passenger through it at that speed though.

Zetec Rich I fitted some Tillet seats to my 92 Dedion, it require some strengthing brackets to be riveted to the underside of the car and the holes drilled through the floor to mount the Tillets directly on it.

My leather seats bolt to the chasis rails rather than directly to the floor so it sounds similar to yours.

I did the 3500miles on Targa Liege with the Tillets on the bumpiest roughest roads I've been on (including several big drops of hump back bridges which grounded out the car completly and bent the rear towing eye!!) and had no problems with the floor bending although ultimatly I believe it will sag I don't think it's a huge problem all you need to do is drill out the old rivets lift the floor up and re-rivet it when this happens (which we did to my car anyway when we fitted the Tillets!!)

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 23 Jan 2003 19:38:12

Hi Rich,

I have a 1990 de-dion and have fitted a Tillet to the drivers side.

The inverted channels Caterham sell are in my opinion not up to the job and weight is being shifted from the chassis tubes to the aluminium - the only pick up with the chassis is on the rear tube with 4 small rivits

The floor will sag esp. if you do not have the tillet right back and supported by the rear bulkhead.

Having spent all the time and effort to get the channels in and sort out 6 point harness routes, it is a bit boring when the Caterham solution does not work efficiently - to be fair the floor was 10-11 years old.

After the trip to LeMans last year mine had sagged approx 7 mm.

Overtime your floor will sag. There is at least one person ( who will remain nameless ) where the floor failed

I am having Arch put two square tubes in to allow the Tillet to be picked up properly and securely - picking up the two tubes where seats were originally fixed on a chassis of our vintage.

Suggest there is a better solution out there than the inverted channels fixed to the floor