Click here if you are having website access problems ×

improving the headlights

Robert Cadiz

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What bulbs do you have? Better conventional halogen bulbs can make a big improvement. 

Beyond that you can replace the whole lamp with different halogen units or LEDs (at a very high price but there's one story in the archives). I don't think there's a legal way to fit HIDs...

Jonathan

I found the brighter Sylvania bulbs took the car from candlelight to oil light, but the reflectors are 1950s era and don't have the depth to match a modern projector headlight with a conventional bulb. Harley Davidson riders also have the same problem. I'm strongly contemplating the JW Speaker LED units, unfortunately about $1000 for a pair, but could be worth it, 5 3/4" units: http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/headlights/#product=500027 7" units: http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/headlights/#product=500492

I have 5.75" headlights with a brighter bulb and find the light ok. I tried the Halfords Ultra Brilliance +90% bulbs and found the filaments very fragile .... only lasting weeks. Phillips Extreme were good. Now on a Ring (xenon type brightness .... can't recall the name) bulb.

ISTR the problem with a 7, is that you look through the beam, rather than look down on the illuminated road due to the driving position/ height of the car.  If this is the case, there is a fundamental problem that wont be addressed by headlamps or bulbs.  I wonder if the newer and lower fitment improves this (even if they look daft!)? 

Hi Bubs

I put night breakers in my 7 before I went touring last year.   They are a masive improvement over the standard buld, but I also found my headlights had lost some of the mirror over time so new headlights where also fitted.  I found this very strange since the car is only 4 years old.   Finally it seem some people like to cut and re connect the wiring instead of removing it properly, so check for that if your light are a bit dim.   A new headlight wiring loom cost about £5 from SVC, so if it have been chopped, its a good investment. 

I am happy with the performance of my 7's lights, ok they are not as good as my tin tops, but they are more than acceptable for the amount of time i drive it in the dark. 

Night Breakers get my thumbs up.

Chris.

On my 21 I replaced the original lamps with Cibie H180s and the bulbs with Philips X-treme Power (I did the bulbs first).

The lighting is now pretty good.

With the bulbs only, lighting went from very weak to acceptable (still not great) but the beam pattern was poor and changing to the Cibies made a significant difference.

I was also thinking of a relay mod but my lights are already bright enough and higher voltages can shorten bulb life.

Since I got my bulbs they have been superseded by a bulb called X-treme Vision, which is even brighter and there is a new version just coming out which is brighter still:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/car-bulbs-2014-halogen-headlight-bulb-reviews

I have fitted a Bi-Xenon kit to my R300 (from HIDS4U) and replaced the lenses with Cibie's plus fitted the newer style lowered mounting brackets and the lights are excellent now.

No problems with the MOT, but you do have to set the beam angle carefully as oncoming traffic flash very occasionally but I think that is because the Xenons are uBer bright.

When I first got my Seven I also found the headlights appalling. I just didn't feel safe driving by them. I fitted a pair of these (with high intensity bulbs - which made very little difference on their own) and they have absolutely transformed night driving for me. As good as, if not better than, most other modern (non-HID) headlights on other cars.

Cibie 7 Inch E Approved Headlight Conversions With Side Light H4

When I first got my Seven I also found the headlights appalling. I just didn't feel safe driving by them. I fitted a pair of these (with high intensity bulbs - which made very little difference on their own) and they have absolutely transformed night driving for me. As good as, if not better than, most other modern (non-HID) headlights on other cars.

Cibie 7 Inch E Approved Headlight Conversions With Side Light H4

Any modifications needed to shell or connector or wiring with these?

Thanks

Jonathan

@Jonathan - Not that I remember. Standard bulb fittings and connectors for sure. I did replace the shells at the same time but only to replace the rusting chrome ones with the identical stainless ones from SVC. Like the original Wipac units they are just the standard traditional 7" fit.

"but the reflectors are 1950s era and don't have the depth to match a modern projector headlight with a conventional bulb."

You can easily change the reflectors to the later 'crystal' type - massive improvement as the reflector is the rear of the 'lens'.  Then use whatever the best bulb that you feel is right.

I use these on my 7 and Europa. (both no problems with MOT's) http://www.powerfuluk.com/products/other-other-vehicle-lights-headlights---crystal/crystal-halogen-headlight-conversion-bedford-(pair).html

Really expensive at £29 a pair!! *biglaugh*

I fitted two Cibie 7" in RHD Halogen Light Unit with Sidelight to my KR500 last year, a straight swop taking minutes and I no longer seem to be suffering an inability to see. I do a lot of night driving on mountain twisties, so high speed isn't such an issue, whereas clarity is (I suppose, thinking about it).

My comparison is my BDR which has always had Cibies and lights up the world on demand; a mere twenty years earlier and always had amazing lights. 

Bulb wise I tried various but reverted to standard because they seem to last longer.

edit: I am curious about the reflector question: don't know what these have. edit: ok having relooked at the above link, clearly (!) mine seem not to be these later crystal reflectors.

Seeing round hairpins instead of it being pitch black; now that would be interesting for me. I heard someone fitted day lights to their cycle wings and it struck me if left always on these would assist in very sharp turns (hairpins), having an unfocussed patterm being intended for daytime use. Of course being always on at night might be an issue because they are in fact brighter and diffuse (like foglights I suppose maybe).

"My" Cibies here http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=010.273

(in fact I had to get the LHD model)

Daylights I have in mind having them already fitted to my tow car: http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/92283/maintenance-free-philips-daytime-running-lights

Though maybe for night corner vision thy e 8 LED version would be better.

(Daytime lights are now legally required over here, so we either retrofit or switch headlights on all day and I don't like the current drain - indeed even more so for always on headlights on the Seven.)

Anthony - Mr January :-)

Upgraded to Cibie units with Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs a couple of years ago.  Not the best quality photo but it shows the original (Wipac?) on the left, Cibie + Osram on the right. 

IMAG0143.jpeg.b881207410cee57e2de4ce7f048b61aa.jpeg

This next photo is after I had replaced both sides. 

IMAG0144.jpeg.0e98df4c61a37063208e90d61833bcc2.jpeg

At the time Minisport were cheapest for the Cibies. I have subsequently used the original Caterham units to replace the sealed beam units on my Mini, now they really are rubbish! I do have some cheap eBay free form reflector units I fitted to an MX5, better than the original lights but seemed to scatter the beam. Maybe I'll get round to trying them on the 7 soon, I can then use the Cibies for the Mini. *hehe*

No; they don't self level. They are simply a Bi-Xenon kit retro fitted inside a Cibie lens.

As I said, you just have to be careful where you set the height/beam. There is a fine line between them being too low to see and too high to avoid being flashed.

If you excuse the pun, the difference between the standard Caterham headlights and mine as they are now is like night and day !!!