Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Anti Rattle Cream

MartinS

OK, not exactly cream, but you'll see what I mean *tongue*

I have a Renault with a rattle (not unique). The rattle is coming from the sunroof rear carriers, which run in a track down the roof of the car (the sunroof sits outside the car when open). The carriers have some play in their tracks which in itself doesn't bother me, it's the rattle you get when they move that's pissing me off! *censored*

Apperantly TADTS, and the normal solution is to buy a new pair or carriers which come with a 'special grease' to apply.

What I'm curious to know is what that special grease is, as I'd like to try refreshing the lube in the area to see if that stops the rattle. I've included a couple of pics to try and help explain what I'm on about:

IMG_1451_small.jpg.912ed8ad2ce684c5fa7156fc22941182.jpg

IMG_1450_small.jpg.5d1ff7b7a5326d4ba1fe3a0a619412c4.jpg

So, if you guys were trying to fix this, what grease would you put down there to lubricate but also reduce the amount of free movement? Given it's all plastic I'm assuming something not regular grease based would be wise, I guess it should also be pretty resistant to water washing it away, almost something waxy? Any ideas would be really appriciated *thumbup*

(PS yes I've tried the renault forums, but I'm looking for a slightly more intelligent answer, hence I've come here!)

*jester* I love Marmite, I'm not going to waste it on a Renault!

The car is a Renault Grand Scenic 2010 MK III [2005-2014] MPV 2.0 dCi. I'm getting nothing on searching for the MK III, but the mechanism looks similar to a MKII. This is the closest thing I've found so far

Meanwhile I've bought a tube of Silicone Grease from RS. It's super super sticky, so I'm hoping that will help as well.. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

M.

Yes, those 'clips' seem very similar to those in the pics on my car. I've also seen advice that cleaning the rubber seals also helps reduce rattle so I'm going to try that.

Meanwhile a Renault dealer has quoted £2134 inc vat to fix the problem (by replacing the entire sunroof mechanism), err no thanks!