Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hub nut size?

CycleSi

"... are the hub nuts on current cars 41mm or 42mm?"

The current Assembly Guides (v2.1) do not answer this question. They say that they're handed and need 270 Nm but not their size. 
https://www.caterhamcars.com/en/aftersales/owners-downloads

And this is unusual. For many other fasteners they have a description in the fastener pack and say which tool is needed.

Jonathan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leadership Team

There's been some discussion on this before and it'd be worth doing some searching.

If I recall correctly, and this would need to be verified, the o/e Ford ones are 41mm, these are the type Caterham will supply. However aftermarket ones are 41mm/42mm for the LH/RH thread, each side is handed.  I also recall some comment that it's recommended to stick to the o/e version.

Stu.

• Area Representative

Strange that the nut size has changed as it has been 41mm since I can ever remember & that is going back to 1994. When did the size change occur as up to 2013/14 or so it was 41mm ?

Purposely never mentioned the nut size in the guide because if one is contemplating the check then you must be spanner wise enough to either already have the socket after a home build or can work it out. Just glad I did not state 41mm as apparently I could be wrong for later cars.

Is there an easy way to remove the wheel centre caps without removing the wheel and knocking them out from behind?

Yes, assuming yours have the usual four plastic retaining tabs:

Wheelcentrecap.jpg.ba68e21c9ce055de1d893cc92db0fe65.jpg

Carefully insert a thin knife blade under one edge, and another on the opposite side. With gentle prising, the cap will lift out.

JV

"If I recall correctly, and this would need to be verified, the o/e Ford ones are 41mm, these are the type Caterham will supply. However aftermarket ones are 41mm/42mm for the LH/RH thread, each side is handed.  I also recall some comment that it's recommended to stick to the o/e version."

These from Ford are 41mm.

But these from Ford are 41mm/ 42mm.

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...