Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1970 1600 Cortina

Roger Ford

A neighbour of mine is trying to sell her ancient Cortina.

1970, 1600cc, Sapphire Blue. Running and currently MOT'd, but has some rust issues.

Not sure how much she wants for it, but apparently she advertised it in "the club magazine" and had no interest.

I would have thought being tax-exempt it would be quite popular. If anyone might be interested, I can find more details including the asking price. In Twickenham.

Quoting Molecular--Bob: 
Last of the mk2 or first of the mk3 and how many doors? Might be interested in a 2 door mk2.

How does one tell? (No, the not the number of doors, I can probably manage that ...)

I'll see if I can get some pics.

Edit: Oops, quick Google and it's very obvious. Definitely a Mk II.

Edited by - Roger Ford on 8 Sep 2014 20:52:28

I didn't know that Gary...mind you, I was 6 at the time! eta - just googled them and found there were some 2 door ones too - thank heavens my memory isn't failing me quite yet! I am sure my uncle's was 2 door...seems that it was quite rare....

Edited by - Mark Piper on 11 Sep 2014 15:41:14

we had 2 a 2 door and a 4 door , not 1600E's. The 1600E was on order until my dad saw a Capri 1600 XLR GT on a visit to Ford . He asked the dealer if he could swap his order, the dealer didn't have a clue what dad wanted as they had not yet been to the dealer launch. He went back to Ford (my dads company were key suppliers) so the car was prepared by Ford SVO with wider wheels and a tweaked engine. But before he could collect it one of the mechanics spilt brake fluid on the matt black bonnet so it was finally delivered with a gold one. I thought it was the coolest thing ever .