Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Suspension Upgrade (Bilsteins, R400, Nitrons?)

tomperkins

I'm currently running AVO shocks and Freestyle springs which are a little too stiff for my local bumpy B roads.

A few people have suggested trying some standard Caterham/Bilstein/Eibach shocks and springs so I've been looking around and have been offered:

1) a pair of 'M0' front shocks and springs with adjustable seats (8 years old but little use I'm told) for £175

2) a full set of R400 shocks and springs (I think race spec), around 1,000 miles of use, for somewhere around £500 to £700

Any thoughts on these offerings and prices?

Should I give the standard ones a try, or are the R400 versions worth the extra? Or should I wait and buy some new Nitrons next year?

As always, all thoughts and experiences appreciated!

Well, living in Scotland, dampers get a very good workout - it's hard to assess the condition based on mileage alone.

I'd be tempted to fid out the (potential) rebuild costs for each of your options - especially if your local roads are bumpy too. You might luck-in to a set of almost-new-condition shocks, but you might find that they have had a harder life than first thought - and if you keep them long enough, you might need to refresh them anyway. Factor this in to your decision - even if it is a risk-based punt.

For road use you might get entirely satisfactory results simply by fitting softer springs to your existing dampers.

I have recently purchased a set of Quantum dampers with springs specified by Simon, from Meteor Motorsport and I'm delighted with the results.

This comment on Pistonheads posted by a Caterham race team proprietor made me laugh at the time and still does.

Our normal upgrade path for AVO dampers involves a bin. Stick the Bilsteins back on with a sensible spring rate and enjoy decent handling rather than 'I've upgraded so it must be better' handling.

I found exactly the same on my R400, it was just toos stiff for the average ropey british B road.

I felt it was the rears which were too stiff, which on an R400 are M2 spec, which is between noraml M0 and race M1 I'm told.

After playing with AVOs and other springs, I had a discussion with Simon and I swapped to Meteor Nitrons with dual springs and it's night and day!

So another vote for Simon @ Meteor.

I had Bilsteins and switched to Freestyle and my car was transformed , it felt planted and handled better. I then upgraded to Freestyle Avo Alloy dampers (bought off a hillclimber) , when I'd just switched the fronts it was perfect , following weekend I did the rears and its just a tad stiff but unfortunately I'd sold the whole set and couldn't go back on the deal.

Need to source some softer rear springs so if anybody is junking their Freestyle rear springs let me know please as I think the rears might not be the original ones.

I run front AR Bar on full , rear on soft and I am on 14" 888rs with a ridiculous amount of ground clearance due to the roads in Yorkshire

Edited by - nickh7 on 2 Sep 2014 16:41:53

Thanks for everyone's comments. A number of people have suggested that, aside from AVO's not being the best, that the car may be too stiffly sprung.

Someone's very generously offered to let me try a spare Bilstein setup so I'll do that, probably just springs at first, then maybe springs and dampers, before making a decision on which way to go.

A new set of springs may well be a good short term fix (don't worry Simon, you'll be my first call).

A new set of Nitrons or Quantums will probably come in the longer term too!

Tom

You may be surprised to find that my advice certainly is not just to upgrade to Quantums or whatever.

I am an owner and driver and fellow club member. (Then you get the sale pitch 😬)

If you check back to your original thread the first thing I said was to change the springs.

Only yesterday I advised someone to keep standard parts.

I take the long term view.