Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help R500 Overheating (no fan)

Ben Fung

Hi all, I have just bought an R500 Duratec and whilst my Lotus Seven Club membership comes through (its in the post) Ben has kindly let me use his log on to gain some "fairly" urgent assistance.

The car is absolutely amazing and I will place the standard new owner post with pics in due time but for now I have a bit off an issue I could do with some assistance/advice on.

Essentially the fan is not coming on, so in traffic or standstill after a blat the water temp is rising to the high 90's/100degrees at which point i am turning the engine off. I have checked all the connections and they seem fine and referred to the manual for the fuse/relay but it seems a little allusive. Have also checked all the fuses and none have blown.

The reason for it being "fairly" urgent is i am in Anglesey atm and live in Surrey and its highly likely that my 5 hr drive home I am going to encounter my fair bit of traffic.

Any advise would be really welcome.

Chris

Recommendations for meters in the archives: let me know if you can't find them.

You can test the fan by running a new feed directly to it. (Shorting the sensor does something similar and is quicker but assumes the fuse and wiring are OK.)

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 23 Aug 2014 20:42:27

Temporary fix would be to direct wire fan to battery, I've done this on VW Transporter, but if someone here advises against it please chime in. Basically negative wire to chassis/earth and positive to battery positive. That's assuming you can find fan wire/plug.

Edited by - Stridey on 23 Aug 2014 20:43:58

The other tip to stop overheating is to put the heating on full blast.... If you have a heater. I know it seems counter intuitive and it is uncomfortable on a hot day, (exactly when overheating is more likely to happen.)

Good one Jonathan.... Actually just remembered it was an old Sierra I had to bodge like that to get home. Long motorway drive. I'd also grab some water bottles in case it did overheat. Wait till cool before refilling.

I've tried the heater trick several times on cars other than the 7 when they overheated. The only effect I noticed was that I was even sweatier than usual when I took them in to have the head gasket fixed. But still worth trying.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 23 Aug 2014 20:58:43

Is it actually overheating? From memory the fan on my R500D does not come on till about 105 degrees is displayed on the stack dash. It never feels good to see that but never had any issues and I have also been told that its fine and working correctly.

Quoting simpy: 
Is it actually overheating? From memory the fan on my R500D does not come on till about 105 degrees is displayed on the stack dash. It never feels good to see that but never had any issues and I have also been told that its fine and working correctly.
I don't know enough about R500s to comment. Has the fan ever cut in and now it doesn't? Shorting the sensor will throw some light on what's going on.

I'd suggest a 15A fuse unless someone knows better. Don't forget the cable ties if you decide to fit a new feed.

Jonathan

Quoting Ben Fung: 

The reason for it being "fairly" urgent is i am in Anglesey atm and live in Surrey and its highly likely that my 5 hr drive home I am going to encounter my fair bit of traffic.

Chris

Chris

When are are you travelling home? I'm in Ruthin N Wales and close to the A55 (or A5), so you will pass close en route, if you want me to take a look at the problem. I'm away tomorrow (Sunday) but around all week from Monday.

Malcolm

First thing I would do is bypass the sender in the top of the rad. Basically unplug the 2 wires and touch them together. The fan should kick in instantly with the ignition on. If this works and you feel the sender is at fault rig up a switch between these two wires. Some people do this anyway piggy backing wires off the sender as a manual override

I've got a K and the temp gauge does go pretty high before the fan kicks in.

Regards

Ian

Dam, the sender isn't on the radiator! Looking round the cooling system i can see two connectors on a pipe under the thermostat housing. I would guess that one is the temp sensor for the stack dash and the other is sender for the fan. One connector is with spade connectors and the other is a more substantial plastic one. Does anybody know which is which or if I am complexly off the the mark.

I'm not far from your route either and happy to pop up to Colins to help out too if you like. Alternatively if you're really not happy driving it all the way home I have a suitable trailer and Tow car just outside Chester, also on your way home if you go via M56 / M53.

Give me a shout if you need me to come and help. Number on area meetings page under mads

Edited by - mav on 24 Aug 2014 11:46:29

Quoting Ben Fung: 
Dam, the sender isn't on the radiator! Looking round the cooling system i can see two connectors on a pipe under the thermostat housing. I would guess that one is the temp sensor for the stack dash and the other is sender for the fan. One connector is with spade connectors and the other is a more substantial plastic one. Does anybody know which is which or if I am complexly off the the mark.

Sorry Chris, I'm not sure to be honest and I can't check it against my car for you at present. If it is the two sensors behind the engine just infront of the battery then yes I think you are correct but I am not sure which is which (at a total guess the more substantial one is for the stack). The only thing from memory I am sure about is the connector for the fan is behind the radiator and the large plastic air deflector tongue thing, the connector is cable tied to the chassis top cross bar somewhere.

Have you checked the stack dash for the max / min readings the car has seen (since it was last reset). To do this press the top right button next to the stack to cycle through the different screens. Bottom left button to see the max / min readings.

Edited by - simpy on 24 Aug 2014 15:15:49