Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6 speed and Redline MTL

DMorris

I haven't had that problem but I think the gearbox is generally noisier with MTL in it. Sounds like worn synchros to me.

Cheers, Steve

• Leadership Team

I've just swapped from Redline MTL back to the standard 75W/90 GL4. Occasional stiffness going into second but only when completetly cold, ie. first mile or so! Much much quieter *thumbup*

Stu.

i don't want to open a can of worms, but after swaping to redline MTL because it was the one to have, my synchros and bearings went out...

i had my gearbox rebuilt by BGH, and chris told me the only thing that could have done so much damage was a wrong oïl... and it was before talking about redline.

never again for me!

I think I'm currently using Comma SX75W-90 GL-4 in my current standard Type 9. Cheap if you shop around, but there is also a GL-5 version, which I heard can shred syncro rings. I took the lid off my gearbox and used a fluid extractor to pull as much of the old oil out as possible; no luxury of a drain plug!

If anyone is doing a refill, I have part of a bottle in the garage to make up the ~1.25-litre fill to save you opening a whole new bottle. *thumbup*

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning to put comma in and replace the MTL. If the gear change is OK I'll stick with the comma. In all the posts I've read it is the gear change that's improved by the MTL.

It's a few pounds to swap to the Caterham recommended oil so not a big outlay to try it!!

Regards

Ian

Easy enough to syphon the old oil out, get it fully warm and pull the level plug out then feed in a length of windscreen washer tube and have a 2l ice cream tube to hand, a good suck on the pipe - easy to see when the oil is coming up drop it into the tub and leave it to syphon out for a few hours.

If you place the tube carefully in the bottom of the box you'll get nigh on all of it out including any sh1te that's in there,

Make sure you don't overfill Type 9's too, they have had various heights of level plugs over the years depending on application, the optimum is 1.2L irrespective of level plug.

MTL works for me too, a significant improvement over stock GL4 oil. *thumbup*

Edited by - 7 wonders of the world on 26 Aug 2014 22:12:03

Like others on here I went for Redline MTL as it was the "oil of choice" ... I have just returned from a 1600 mile trip through Spain and France which was trouble free. GIven this is the first time I have run MTL in my 6 Speed here are my observations.

After a couple of days of long mileage (approx 200/day) I would have a small amount of oil on the bottom of the gear box casing which is weeping from the oil seal where the prop shaft is fitted.

When moving the gear stick left to right in neautral it would be slow to centre when cold but fine when warmed up.

The gearbox is much quieter as a result of running MTL (idle noises when in neautral are now almost non-existent)

Gear changes were all easy and with no problems but not noticably different to previous standard GB Oil.

Until I read this thread I wasn't concerned about it but now I am thinking maybe I should change back to a 75W/90 GL4 based oil.

Is the difference between MTL and 75W/90 GL4 really enough to wreck a gearbox ? If anyone else has some experiences to share it would be good to know as this is now messing with my head 😳 ☹️ *confused*

Go on, change back and see what happens... I've been looking forward to someone doing an ABA experiment. I can just about see how you could do the next transition blind... but it would need a friend to do the change and several hours in which to hide it from you.

Jonathan

Quoting grenpayne: 
I'm pretty sure when I had the box out for a service at R&R last winter they said to run MTL in it. I might give Phil a call this morning to confirm.

That would be very useful feedback *smile*

JK - Based on Grenpayne's feedback I might just do the ABA test ...... even if its only to satisfy my own curiousity. It's the destruction of the gearbox that is the worry though ...... *confused*

I think it is the long term implications that worry us all. The gearbox builders are really the only ones who see the volume of boxes and wear patterns to have an authoritative opinion on the best oil. I doubt they'd put this in writing.

I'd be prepared to compromise on gear change slickness if I know the gears / bearings will last longer.

Regards

Ian

Quoting Smiffy69: 
Based on Grenpayne's feedback I might just do the ABA test ...... even if its only to satisfy my own curiousity. It's the destruction of the gearbox that is the worry though ...... *confused*
I was thinking of a standard run, and a questionnaire on feel etc to be filled in after each run. Then you'd need a standard time between runs, during one of which (and you don't know which) the oil is changed by someone else.

As above x2 it won't help with measuring wear. That would need a long study and probably lots of cars.

Jonathan

With all this worry and flapping around over the fragility of 6-speeders and whether different oils will cause them to spontaneously explode, I'm glad to be sticking with a Type 9, for which different gear sets are plentiful and parts are relatively cheap. With respect, for us "normal" non-racer folk who don't shred through gears, I doubt there will be much difference at all.