Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lotus Seven Club Watch - available for purchase

Alex Rae

This is a thread to gauge interest in a club watch and to establish the watch that club members would like to see. The questionnaire linked to should take a moment to complete. Please bear in mind that some answers are mutually exclusive - an automatic chronograph can't really be had for under £300 :) Realistically we are talking a minimum price of between £250 to £300 so that there is some choice in the style of watch we choose. Survey Now Closed. Thanks to those who answered. (9/8/14 @12.30) The company we have chosen to produce a club watch, if there is to be one, is Christopher Ward London. This is a brand familiar to many in the club. There are a British company celebrating their 10th year producing high quality Swiss made watches at relatively affordable prices. For more details, and to have a look at their watches, please see www.christopherward.co.uk. There will be a premium over the cost of a standard watch to produce a club watch. This is in the region of £50. We will need to select a standard case design, but there is freedom to customise the dial and possibly order a non-standard strap. A £100 deposit is needed when the order is confirmed. The balance is paid at the time of delivery, predicted to be six months from the order. Completing the survey would be appreciated to help gauge interest and to give an idea as to the watch that members would like. For this to go ahead we'll need a minimum order of 50 pieces. I hope there is the interest needed as I think a club watch from a growing British company could be something special. If there is demand for more than 50, that can be accommodated. Completing the attached survey does not commit you to buying a club watch. Commitment will be needed at a later stage before we can proceed, but not yet! If you have any questions about the watch, Christopher Ward or the process then please either post on this thread or send me a Blatmail. I'll do my best to answer them! -------------- Update 1 With almost 100 replies to the survey it appears that there is interest in going ahead. There are some contradictions within the answers, as was to be expected. But there is enough interest that discussions have started with Christopher Ward (CWL) as to how to take this forward. The survey will stay open and will have an impact on the process, so please complete it if you have not done so. At this stage it appears that two designs, in different styles and price points, will be presented to the club to vote on. The winner will be selected as the club watch. If it goes into production will depend on 50 deposits being received by CWL. There may now be a slight delay as I may be beyond the reach of the cyber world for a few days. Do not think that this had been forgotten. Things will be progressing, with Update 2 when appropriate. Thank you to those who took time to complete the survey. It has given the confidence needed to take this forward. -------------- Update 2 -8/7/14 Further conversations were had with CWL yesterday, with more happening today. On Tuesday drawings will be seen for one watch, with a second being worked on. The plan is as before to present two watches to everyone to vote on. If both can go ahead, I suppose they can subject to interest and demand. That would need 50 orders of each one, which I fear may complicate things. We could end up with 30 orders for each watch and therefore neither happening. Thinking needs to be done about that! Thoughts welcome. Is there are much interest as there appears to be in doing something with the number 7 on the dial? It does sound like a good idea and it can be done. The artwork for this looks good. It will be subtle, but a nice nod to our cars. Something we'll see because we know it's there, but not something which will jump out at everyone who sees someone wearing the watch. Please comment below. Assuming a watch is produced it will be in the numbers of orders received. If demand looks good, CWL may then out a further small batch into production and sell them via their site. We could demand a fixed number be produced and no more, but if there is demand it appears to me a pity to limit the numbers. Again, comments welcome. Still, we need an initial order of 50. The requested comments will help going forward in designing the watch and planning the process. ------------- Update 3- 14/7/14 This is a big update - we now have the art work for two watches which will be put to a vote of club members to see how we progress. Depending on responses we may have two different watches, one watch of the more popular design or no watch at all. To re-cap, a minimum of 50 watches are needed before a design will go into production. No orders will be placed at this stage - the poll which follows is to establish interest. However, it is hoped that if you vote that you will buy one particular watch then you will do so when the time comes. It is expected that watches will be ready for delivery in early 2015. The order process will begin when it's clear that there is enough interest. The two options below are final designs. Whatever goes into production will look like the presented designs. Yes, you can post on here that you'd like if watch better if this was different, or that was different. But the watches won't change, so don't vote that you'd buy ones design if it was changed and expect that will happen. Each watch has a custom dial and case back. The case back also includes the option for custom engraving included in the prices below. This is normally a £25 option on any watch purchased from Christopher Ward. As it is the watch, not straps, which are customised, it doesn't matter what kind of strap or bracelet you'd prefer. We need 50 watches ordered, with any combination of strap or bracelet. On the C3 an upgrade strap can be ordered with a clasp rather that conventional buckle. This will add £25 to the watch. Order details will follow in due course. The watches will be numbered, with serial numbers available for request on a first come first served basis. Watches will be numbered up to 50 or 100, depending on demand. The Club Watch £265 on leather or £315 on a bracelet Black dial Quartz movement 39mm case 10.2mm high Choice of brown or black leather strap, steel bracelet ------------------ Update 416/8/14 @18.15 I think it's time to answer a few questions and update where we are. Serial numbers: I'm not collecting them yet, it will be done a the time orders are placed and how that happens has yet to be finalised. Having said that, if someone here has expressed a preference it might be fair to go with that. Except that I'm about to disappoint Oil and Mort - I've claimed No. 007 a while ago. Options in the poll: If you are happy with either, state one in Q1 and in Q3 say you'll buy the other one if that's the one that goes ahead. I can go through the answers to work out who would be happy with either. Disappointed people: I'm sure that was always going to happen. Given the answers from the survey we have created the two watches that appeal to the widest possible audience. Colour, price, movement and strap options all led to the two watches designed. Stockists : CWL only sell direct. There is no showroom, but you can make an appointment at their office in Maidenhead to look at watches. I was there on Tuesday and it's worth a visit. Warning - it could be expensive! Club discount: If we get the numbers to produce a club watch I'll ask if there can be a discount on other watches in the range. If we don't, I would not feel comfortable asking. Prices for a club watch are as they are. Time for the poll: it will stay open until we get at least 50 for one design. It will then stay open to see if there is interest in the second design. I'd hope to have 50 expressions of interest by the end of next week at the latest so that we can open the formal order process. We are already getting there with the numbers needed for the C3. We are around 30 if you include people who,would prefer the C10, but would buy the C3. So come on folks and get the poll done. I hope to get the 50 interested needed through Blatchat then an article can go in Low Flying to say that there will be a club watch and this is how you get one. The C10 is about 10. This is pretty much as expected. ---------------- Update 5 - 27/8/14 There will be a club watch Sorry for the long gap between updates. I was hoping to update that there would be a watch and give order information at the same time, but I'm waiting for details on how the order process will work. The club watch will be a C3 as shown in the original post. It will be available with brown or black leather on on a steel bracelet. An upgrade strap with a Bader clasp will be available. Details on that to follow. There have been just over 50 expressions of interest. Therefore CWL are going to produce 100 watches. This means that no one who has expressed an interest will be disappointed and as an article will be in Low Flying those who don't use Blatchat will get a chance to buy one too. A second batch may be produced sometime in the future if demand exists. Serial numbers up to 100 can be requested on ordering, but will be on a first come first served basis. Sorry, but 007 has already gone. The next update will include order information. Hopefully coming soon. ----------------------- Update 7 - 4/9/14 Good news! The Lotus Seven Club watch is now available to pre-order. The can be done at www.christopherward.co.uk and searching 'Lotus' or by following the link here. The watch is available with a steel bracelet or with a brown or black leather strap. An upgraded strap with a Bader buckle is offered for an additional £25. Having a different CWL watch with this style of clasp I think it's worth considering. Mind you, the standard strap and buckle is more than up to the job. Until the end of October specific serial numbers can be requested, strictly on a first-come-first-served basis. It has been suggested that there should be a gentleman's agreement that if someone has mentioned on the bulk buy thread a number they would like then that should be respected by others. I am taking no responsibility for policing this though. On all CWL watches there is a free post offer until the end of September. This applies to the Club watch too. Given that the recent price rises do not apply to the club watch this feels very generous of Christopher Ward. The order process is very simple. You just need to find the watch you want on the page, click on "pre-order" and complete the necessary steps. Serial numbers can be requested and any engraving you wish to add to the watch is completed on the order page. No payment will be taken until the watches are ready for dispatch. This is still scheduled for early January. The watch does show as 'out of stock', but that is because it is in the pre-order stage and is not available for immediate dispatch. If you've any questions then please ask. Thanks, Alex Edited by - Alex Rae on 8 Sep 2014 18:36:27

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a CW watch already and it is a lovely watch. Their service was excellent too. I was given a free strap as the one I wanted was not yet available. When it became available I was able to keep the first one, so that was £40 or so (at retail prices) given away in the name of customer service.

I think this is a great idea. Would it be possible to enlarge and emphasise the number 7 on the face instead of the 12, 3, 6, 9? Just a thought.

Yes, interested. I have owed a CW C8 Pilot and it was great. I bought it new, kept it a few years and sold it for more than I bought it to fund purchse of another watch but was very happy with it during the time I owned it. For my 2p I would say that if we do this it should really be an mechanical movement (automatic or hand wound)- not a digital/quartz. i.e. in keeping with the 'analogue' nature of the car.

Cheers

Martin

I looked at this thread expecting something, erm, a bit rubbish but I actually like the images! The first one is my favourite. I'd have one of those.

Mort - a Trident Quartz won't be possible as that would need a case modification.

Oli - I'd wondered about the 7 too. If we are allowed to use Caterham's 7 that could work. I must investigate that.

Martin - I'd agree about the Auto bit, but there is a cost penalty. I like the feeling of a mechanical device on my wrist. *thumbup*

Alex - I think some of the models might come with quartz or mechanical movements as an option. Depending on how much Chris is willing to 'bespoke' the watch - we may be able to choose.

Some comments on the models:

The Trident Dive watches are great quality and I would like one at some point but don't seem to have a connection to our car or club for me.

Most of the 'motorsport' options are a bit loud for my taste but the C7/C700 Rapides are nice. Similar to Heuer Carreras.

A good option could indeed be the C8 Pilot. After all our club Magazine is 'Low Flying' and this one is based on the pilot's watch design of the 30's and 40's.

C8 Pilot

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by - MartinH on 30 Jul 2014 13:41:36

I fancy an automatic chronograph. I expect most do not use the timer, but I do. I find most watches of this type have a minute counter which is too small to be read clearly. At least by my ageing eyes. Christopher Ward included. That is one of the reasons I should like an IWC Portugieser.

I fancy an automatic chronograph. I expect most do not use the timer, but I do. I find most watches of this type have a minute counter which is too small to be read clearly. At least by my ageing eyes. Christopher Ward included. That is one of the reasons I should like an IWC Portugieser.

My thoughts too OliW *thumbup*

Keep an almost standard design with a little nod to our little cars.

C7SKSi-MK2 (which has the steering wheel back *thumbup*) with a Grille style "7" rather than dial marker. Else something that suits a big 7 in a white roundel.

I pointed friend towards Christoper Ward and the Malvern he bought feels and looks great for little money (even happier as his initials are CW). C700 Grand Rapide for me when have some folding spare *thumbup*

I'd actually wish Caterham (Cars) would consider licencing the name to Christopher Ward for us mortals that can neither afford or like the B.R.M. especially now no longer directly associated with the F1 team. Yuk !

Now how best to approach them regards the above and commissioning configurable die cast models ? 😬

• Area Representative

Do you think we could enough takers to keep the price as stated above but for a customised one of these or these No more messing about with the fob. 😬

z7

Edited by - z7 on 30 Jul 2014 17:27:35

Like the style but 38 to 43mm bezel more suited to those with a chunkier disposition. 😬

36mm Datejust suits me fine, therefore, 38mm CW would probably be okay. Black face looks good. *thumbup*

Edited by - Phil G on 30 Jul 2014 19:28:39