Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre prices - Yoko's seem expensive now

Mike Eamer

Last time I went to buy tyres for the car the A021's, R888's and A048's were cheaper than the CR500's by a fair chunk.. based on 185F/205R on 13's. R888's being the cheapest of the lot.

I just went to check the price of a set of A021's (camskil and polleys) and they are about £410... CR500's from Caterham are £456.

Is it just me or have the yoko's got more expensive recently? I was keen to go back to A021's for extra ground clearance over the CR500's and also to lower the grip level a bit so the car is more fun on the road, as well as bag a bit of a saving. Given the greater mileage you should get from the CR500's then they will work out cheaper!

Regards

Mike

They changed the compound of the CR500s a couple of years ago, and they got cheaper, albeit that the compound in the first year was terrible. I understand that this has been sorted now, but as I don't use these tyres any more, I can't say for certain.

You won't get better mileage out of CR500s than A021s though ... Or indeed over AO48s. I've never used R888's.

Jez

I was shocked by the current price of 185x60x14 Yoko 021s, particularly as I've almost worn out a set in the last year *eek* . When I finished my car 3 years ago, my first set of 4 cost £288.

At £410 it's quite an annual cost, in fact twice my insurance.

I want to go to Scotland next year and don't want to have to change tyres mid journey.

A bit less grip would be OK, if I get some extra mileage and they aren't lethal in the wet.

I'm thinking of trying Uniroyal Rain Experts at about £40 each delivered, I can buy four for less than two 021s. A chap on Pistonheads has tried them and said they were a good road tyre and even used them on a wet/dry track day with reasonable results, and I have a friend who fitted them to his kit before a very wet trip to Wales and said he really liked them.

Duncan

Have you tried the A)21R in a 70 profile tyre? Not as nice cosmetically and slightly more compliant ride, but at £50+vat a corner from Polleys its a sacrifice I and lots of others put up with. Also gives more road clearance. They are much cheaper because in 185-70-13 they are a wet weather control tyre for a race series Polley provide tyres for, so they are ordered in large quantities.

I've just worked out that I get about 600 miles out of a set of AO48s, but that is track only. They probably only do about 200 race miles, with the rest in testing. Fronts wear less than rears, so I do change them over from time to time. Left rear wears the most.

Jez

*arrowup* *arrowup* *arrowup* If you did try the alternative tyres Duncan I would be interested to know how you find them as if they are good I might go for them with that sort of saving.

I won't need new tyres till next year thank goodness.

Are you heading up to John O Groats again? I had a road trip to Germany again in June & it was excellent. *smile*

Hi Martin, a 6 day tour with 3 days in the Highlands I hope :)

Germany sounds good, I got soaked staying in the UK this summer, but I'm a sucker for punishment!

Will report back about the tyres.

I use 185/70/13 AO21s up here, and am very happy with them for road use, and you can really feel them work when they get warm. Only down side is less than 3000 miles before needing replacement, I guess it must be the farm slurry that's spilt on the roads that eats away the rubber? 😬

Tyre wear will also depend quite a bit on the state of your suspension, prior to getting new dampers I could go through a set of CR500's in less than 2500 miles of road driving. With fresh dampers I can get 7000+ on the road out of set of rears, I seem to wear the fronts faster though.