Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham R500 build - paintwork test results

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A full repaint seems a bit drastic. *eek*

When the car was new I had a couple of chips, touched them in with a touch up pen & they were gone.

Seven years down the line & the car is peppered with stone chips, mostly to the front of the rear wings. I just regard it as normal patina & shows the car is being used & isn't a garage queen.

Not sure this is worth it - it will get scratches and chips from normal road use, and more so I'd think on the track.

Nevertheless, XK Engineering are pretty much the best in the business. We used them to paint the special matte paint on the Victoria Beckham Special Editions:

http://www.xkengineering.com/admin/resources/xk-image02-w640h480.jpg

(the white bits are transit protection films)

I never got to go over, but there was a 250GTO having a respray at the same time they were doing our cars 🥰

Hmmm ... Interesting .... All in places that are not really visible and in my experience all places that will get ...er .. Knocked when in use.

It is annoying to have chips on your pride and joy but trust me you will get more and finally give up worrying about it. The only way to avoid dinks and scratches is not use it....... And what's the point of that *confused*

Quoting Smiffy69: 
It is annoying to have chips on your pride and joy but trust me you will get more and finally give up worrying about it. The only way to avoid dinks and scratches is not use it....... And what's the point of that *confused*

This *arrowup*

During this year's Fish & Chip run I collected 11 new stonechips. Fortunately I'm quite handy when touching paint up ( *tongue*), but it still does annoy. Mind you, given the choice I'd still go and and do it again http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/skidmarks.gif

I am going to assume you not going to drive your R500, just polish it, because marks like that are just going to happen, and keep happening all the time you drive it, and its much more fun to drive it not polish it.

I am assuming you have never seen the "factory" paint facility, I had my nose cone refreshed this year at the "factory" painters and they are very nice to deal with, and very reasonable rates to get the work done.

Looks the XK Engineering are very good painters, just OTT for a 7

I really, really wouldn't worry about it.

My 7 is peppered with stone chips. I wouldn't even want to begin to count them. I don't bother with Armourfend purely for the reason that I can see it, and seeing it there bothers me more than the stone chips.

You could spent all the cash on respraying it, go for one drive, and have more dents than there were in the first place.

It might be annoying, but it'll only get worse. It's hard to be precious about the paint on a 7. They attract more dings and chips than any other car I've owned.

Have to agree with the others above - I've had my car for two years now and it really does pick up new stone chips pretty much every time it goes out. I am a bit of a polisher, but it's something I've just learned to live with. They go fast and low and have open front wheels that spray stones (and anything else you run over) all over the rest of the bodywork.

We used them to paint the special matte paint on the Victoria Beckham Special Editions:

Surely a spray tanning salon would have been more appropriate?

I had NO idea such cars even existed, not sure I want to ! *eek*

• Leadership Team

If that's all you've got from delivery / build you have done remarkably well. I ended up with a fair few more than that.

I'm with the rest on here, don't worry, you will soon collect more and your windscreen (if you have one) very soon will adopt that just sandblasted look. Get the touch in done on the bits that bother you most - very few others will notice 😬

I'll try and answer everyone in one post here (if I can) *cool*

Quoting BudJuggler: 
So, presumably you are paying for this?
Yes but at a fraction of the cost you'd think it would be.

Quoting ChrisC: 
I am going to assume you not going to drive your R500, just polish it, because marks like that are just going to happen, and keep happening all the time you drive it, and its much more fun to drive it not polish it.
I intend to use my car to the full.

Quoting ChrisC: 
Looks the XK Engineering are very good painters, just OTT for a 7
I've no idea the quality of these painters, but by your comment and Dean's suggestion they are very good indeed and he's been using them for a very long time. As suggested above with the RR, they've also worked on classic Ferrari's and so on. It may be OTT for a seven, but respraying the entire car was suggested to me, not the other way around. Read into that what you want.

The nosecone scratch was there right out of the bubble-wrap. The guys from signsuk said that to armour fend over that wouldn't be a good idea as it would create an air pocket. There was a mark on one of the arches that I done, and another one I done (well actually my mate done) and to get those marks blended in locally would've cost less than this entire re-spray, I guarantee it. So why not?

Quoting Martin Jeffrey: 
Don't follow another caterham to close on a blat Daniel, you will get loads of chips. *wink*
Don't worry Martin - I won't be following *cool* However, if I do get caught behind the nosecone, full sides and arches will be armour fended (again) so I won't be getting much road rash!

At the end of the day would anyone collect a circa £45k car that's got stone chips or scratches on it, just because it'll get them anyway? I don't think so.

Even though I have put 3M film on my car in places, I accept it will get scratched and chipped very quickly. I also have some build and even pre build marks but I have come to think of them as simply part of owning a caterham. I agree the paint does seem very soft. When I fitted the high level brake light I marked the back panel of the car just by leaning against it.

I am more concerned about getting my reg number from DVLA and then driving the car. With the time it's taken so far I have numerous local and international (Wales) routes mapped out.

Quoting tiddy1: 
Totally mad, it costs me less to run my car for a year than it will for you to cover a few scratches that will be back within a week of you driving your car
You can't do many miles! 😬

im really interested in this topic as a recent new builder who is dealing with the trauma of new road rash every time I leave the garage! Ive never had a car takes such a beating after such light use - compared to my daily driver which has 50 times the mileage and guess which one looks the worse....

While they say you have good adhesion, does that imply the 'hardness' of the paint layer is up to scratch? my thought that there is hardly any lacquer on there, but did you get any comment on that to suggest otherwise?

Quoting rort1: 
While they say you have good adhesion, does that imply the 'hardness' of the paint layer is up to scratch? my thought that there is hardly any lacquer on there, but did you get any comment on that to suggest otherwise?
No the hardness of the paint was not disclosed. I did find it extremely soft - much softer than anything on any of my daily drives. I removed the foam strip on the scuttle so the decals could be cleanly fitted and removing the foam strip (delicately) actually lifted some of the paint.