Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Discs and pads.

Trotsky

Incredibly, I think anyway, I have never had to change discs or pads on my car in the 5 or so years and 40K plus miles I have owned it, anyway, I have bought myself a full set of replacement discs and Mintex 1144 pads, I have no idea what pads are in but they have never felt Brilliant and why I seem not to use em much *tongue* anyway, standard brake set up etc is there a idiots guide anywhere to doing the Job, removing discs and pads and refitting? any special tools reqd? special techniques? thanks all. oh, 1995 s3 HPC de dion by the way.

Thanks Domus and Jonathan, just the ticket. my next obsticle is to get the correct rear pads sent out here To France, just opened the box and they sent me 2 sets of fronts *cry* just my blooming luck, perfect weather, perfect roads and time to play and the cars out of action! oh well I'll have to go for a thrash in the 2cv instead. 😬 Thanks again, *thumbup*

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't I read somewhere recently that one of the better brake setups is to use mintex pads and the front and standard pads at the rear? Something along the lines of altering the brake bias more to the front of the car as it's a bit too strong and the back end with standard pads all about. If true then maybe get some normal rears sent out?

Tom

*arrowup*

That's fine for a conventional single pot floating caliper without integral parking brake, however caliper with parking brake require the piston to be screwed and pushed at the same time, the screw portion is the parking brake actuation.

You can't just push these back hence the use of a wind back tool homemade or otherwise *thumbup*

Charles - That of course is true. And if you get even more aggressive 1144s at the rear are inadequate. But my pads don't work when cold and I wouldn't advocate too aggressive a set up for a road car.

Jez

Interestingly, on the early Vauxhall race cars, competitors weren't allowed mods to the braking system so took to cutting the friction pads down at the rear to overcome the rearward brake bias

I'm going for new discs all round and mintex 1144 on the front, standard blue dot from CC on rears. was going to do myself but my local french mechanic seems a decent sort .so im going to pop along in one of the 2cv's to introduce myself when I've got all the bits together. hes got a lovely DS 20 pallas tucked away at the back of his garage.