Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Getting hot

evotell

What has been done to the cooling system lately ?

Could be an airlock in the system.

Could be a failing sender unit ...... do you have a thermometer like one of the laser contactless ones so you can measure the temperature of each hose ?

I have found the k-series cooling system mod (as per article in LF Sept 2012) to be very effective. Simple and cheap to do. I have a pdf scan of the article if needed.

Ian

• Area Representative
For some unknown reason I have found the 1.4 to be even more likely to have an air lock than larger capacity K series engines. Also more difficult to get rid of the airlock in a 1.4. It takes perseverance.

Does sound like an air lock and you don't want these on a K series. I've done the mod on mine (as already recommended)but prior to that I found the bleed 'T' made the whole process much easier. If nothing else, fit one of these if you have not done so already. Then do the mod asap - you won't regret it *thumbup*

Quoting SM25T: 
What has been done to the cooling system lately ?

Could be an airlock in the system.

Could be a failing sender unit ...... do you have a thermometer like one of the laser contactless ones so you can measure the temperature of each hose ?

I have found the k-series cooling system mod (as per article in LF Sept 2012) to be very effective. Simple and cheap to do. I have a pdf scan of the article if needed.

Ian

Nothing, the car has only just been completed, its done 160km. The pdf document would be helpful. terryjohns@live.ca

Thanks Ian

Edited by - evotell on 30 Apr 2014 14:16:33

Ok. I raised the front of the car and loosened off one of the hoses, what became apparent very quickly is that all the hoses got hot including the heater hose that goes into the thermostat housing, but the bottom hose stayed cold as did the bottom of the radiator. I am cure the thermostat is not opening.

Any suggestions?

I have looked the mod document and it makes sense, but I'm not sure this is my present problem.

!!! NOT IN THE HOUSING !!! It would leak everywhere!

Best picture I could find on the internet:

http://www.revilla.plus.com/Drilled%20Thermostat.jpg

... but preferably a bit smaller, 2mm or 3mm should do the trick, and make sure that it will be at the top when the thermostat is fitted (it only fits one way around). The hole lets air trapped in the thermostat housing bubble away rather than being stuck and insulating the thermostat, preventing it from opening. If you make it too big, it;s like the thermostat being always a bit open, so prolongs warm up time etc.

Edited to say: Sorry for the shouty bold bits, just wanted to make sure you didn't go off drilling holes where they shouldn't be 😬

Edited by - revilla on 30 Apr 2014 17:17:49

Quoting evotell: 
Ok. I raised the front of the car and loosened off one of the hoses, what became apparent very quickly is that all the hoses got hot including the heater hose that goes into the thermostat housing, but the bottom hose stayed cold as did the bottom of the radiator.

Isn't this the classic symptom of an airlock?

I've certainly had this and fixed it by re-bleeding - not had to replace the thermostat

Simon

Quoting Paul Richards: 
For some unknown reason I have found the 1.4 to be even more likely to have an air lock than larger capacity K series engines. Also more difficult to get rid of the airlock in a 1.4. It takes perseverance.

The early type of 1400 is often difficult with persistent air locks due to its wet liner block construction with a closed top deck, with only tiny bleed holes in the casting. The open deck of the block of the later 1400/1600/1800 with 'damp' liners seems to be easier to fill and free of airlocks.

Thanks to all who have contributed. Took it to a pal of mime who has a vacuum coolant filler. I think there was an air lock, but I also think the thermostat was also stuck, taped in several times, and its been fine all day.

Proves my theory if it doesn't work get the hammer out 😳

Edited by - evotell on 1 May 2014 13:46:57