Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brands Hatch Track Evening

Merrick Linnett

Quite right Chris, and again, thanks for you help last night. Interestingly, my "additional" silencer was no longer attached when i got back to the garage and I didn't get black flagged again, despite its absence.

I can see a "bulk buy" coming on...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Area Representative

Quoting JonL: 
I have a video of the gentle spinner at Clearways (Crumpynut?) which I will post when I have edited out all my missed apexes and occasional missed gear.

Unless there was more than one spinner, I think it might have been me 😳

Jim, how did you get on track with 104DB? I was black flagged for tripping the noise meters, which i thought were set to 98DB drive by. I was on the limit of 101DB static.

Must try some acoustafil myself.

Cheers

Mike

My initial static test was 96 and when I was black flagged I was told I was reading 108 on the drive by.

After the repack it was 104 static but I was careful to short shift and keep away from the pit wall

I see the official limit is 102 for an evening session so I'm a bit confused as to why I was allowed back out?

Edited by - jimh on 4 Jun 2014 17:43:33

My thanks also to all those involved in setting this up. I was in the over weight BRG Roadsport SV with a novice sticker and not so sticky and skinny ZV3's, so my experience involved much use of the mirrors and r/h indicator *redface*. Loved the challenges of Paddock Hill Bend, Druids and Clearways, although the instructor I had reckoned the most important clipping point to get right was Surtees. Have to say found the level of driving standards and patience brilliant and all my fears had evaporated by mid-session.

Checked the car today and no apparent wear on the tyres (despite some regular tail end action braking into Druids), oil and coolant levels no change either. Either I need to push harder or these cars really are that fantastic.

Will post some videos idc so you can see how many times you passed me 😬

Bob

Quoting Culminator: 
Quite right Chris, and again, thanks for you help last night. Interestingly, my "additional" silencer was no longer attached when i got back to the garage and I didn't get black flagged again, despite its absence.

I can see a "bulk buy" coming on...

My home-brewed one was also absent but probably changing at around 4000 was enough not to trip the meters.

What a great evening at Brands

Always good to meet new members and put names to faces *thumbup*

Sorry about the weather as a few cars had their wets tyres on.

Did it rain last year *tongue*

A big THANK YOU *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* to all the members who helped deliver the Club flag Brands.

Wow what a great club we have 🥰

What a nice sound those Duratech's make 😬 *thumbup* (Never tooooo!! noisy)

A flying visit to the Plough to say hi and then home to West Sussex.

Glad you all had a great time.

See you on the GP circiut.

Merrick

Edited by - Merrick Linnett on 4 Jun 2014 20:25:32

Quoting CycleSi: 
Did anyone else grind their sump in the dip between Paddock and Druids?

It didn't get ground on the track but did get clobbered on the way there when we hit a scaffold pole joiner on the A25 😳 It seems to have survived it though.

Here's a link to a video of a couple of our laps. Apologies for the camera angle - school boy error ☹️ Still, it just means we'll have to do another one *cool*

• Area Representative

Quoting JonL: 
IanW - this maybe for you. I am only sorry I wasn't close enough to get you fully in frame 😬

Yup. That was me. *wavey*

I thought the "Novice" X stickers were an excellent idea, they let me know when I should make extra allowance (though the driving was excellent and I don't remember needing to do so). Did they give the novices more confidence too? I'd think it would help knowing that some hooligan wasn't going to dive up the inside thinking you'd be expecting it.

As a novice with a sticker I am afraid I had far to much to concentrate on in the car and mirrors without appreciating the benefits of the sticker.

However the 'non-amateurs' that did pass me always waited until the straight and never 'dived down the inside' so I never felt hassled by anyone which was one less thing to worry about. Maybe that was the sticker, maybe it was just good manners anyway.

That said, my sticker would probably have been more obvious if may car wasn't the same shade of yellow.

I thought the novice stickers were a great idea. It was our first track day and it took a bit of pressure off us both to know that others had warning of our experience level.

Everyone who passed us was very patient and gave us plenty of room. Much appreciated when my peanut was getting as hot as the engine 😬

I didn't put the sticker on, though given my pace, I should have done.

Excellent tuition from Mary helped me with lines and smoothness, which also brought some speed.

A great time and now I just want to practice more - trackday bookings coming up....

Thanks to everyone who arranged and managed the day, brilliant.

OK, I did have a sticker on and needed it judging by the number of cars that passed me (see

and
). Apart from the lack of talent, I seemed to suffering from a lack of grip (ZV3s) and grunt (fat bloke in an SV!). So newbie question to POBC 😶‍🌫️, I was running standard unleaded petrol, would it have been worth running through a couple of tankfuls of the higher octane super unleaded before the track day for a bit more grunt?

Bob

Quoting MadCat52: 
OK, I did have a sticker on and needed it judging by the number of cars that passed me (see
and
). Apart from the lack of talent, I seemed to suffering from a lack of grip (ZV3s) and grunt (fat bloke in an SV!). So newbie question to POBC 😶‍🌫️, I was running standard unleaded petrol, would it have been worth running through a couple of tankfuls of the higher octane super unleaded before the track day for a bit more grunt?

Bob

No, save your cash. Tighten up your lines and braking points for an immediate improvement and then when more confident you can look at stickier rubber *thumbup*

• 2 weeks later...