Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Nitron spring rates

Cookie Monster

Two of us have ordered Nitrons & are debating the spring rates.

Both cars k-series, one an R300 the other a 190bhp 96 reg car

The fronts at 225 seem fine, the rears either 150, 175 or something else?

Both cars used for road & track with mine possibly doing the speed championship this year.

So what does the POBC think for each or both?

Thx

A search will bring up a number on threads on this ..

Track will differ to road, use of slicks will require stronger springs,

IMHO track require stronger than sprinting

To get the ultimate performance will require differ springs ....

So ... It will be a compromise therefore you need to decide on what is most important

Nitrons over standard shocks gives better dampening so you can compromise on the spring and you have the ability to soften the ride through the damper ...

Not quite that simple but yes rates vary for use, power, weight and tyre.

Standard Nitron valving is excessive on rebound in my opinion. Which means the car will jack down or you will be running with the minimum number of clicks but then the compression damping is to week so you go for springs that are stronger but then the ride is to bouncy so then you add mor clicks..........

You can see where this is going can't you.

However if anyone wants to pay a visit and see how it all gets calculated and set up on the dyno you are all welcome. You bring the biscuits and I will put the kettle on.

On the dyno today are some standard Nitrons prior to service/revalve, some new Penske's 2 way and some regular used Billies.

Mine is a road only car and am using dual coils on the front and progressive on the rear. Over the time have played with several set ups and it is now 225ld plus 3inch long 150lb on front(wide track) and standard Caterham progressive on the rear. Nitrons are what I guess are "standard" set up as around 8 years old. On front the 150 lb are not quite coil bound when car is stationary and seems to help the porpoise effect and can run between 15 and 18 clicks from hard depending what I want and how I feel on the day, normally 16 or 17. Find the rear a bigger issue, the uprated Caterham progressive too hard for just road use and 140lb similar. My test is over the same 3 "sleeping policeman", how fast over these and still damping properly, and a cobbled road down to a local farm. Bit crude maybe but fairly effective. I know I should re valve but shipping to Simon in the UK is a little expensive, maybe on my next visit there.

Just off the A40 between Llandeilo and Carmarthen. Sa32 8sa.

Welcome anytime along with anyone else

Just back in the house after playing with the Penske 7500 DA's - very impressive. I hope to make a video tomorrow of the process just before I ship them to Denmark.

If its dry it would be a cracking drive from you to here.

Edited by - Simon.Rogers on 19 Jan 2014 19:05:17