Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Check you spark plugs please, Zetec owners

Phil

Hi

My 7 broke down yesterday, a loud bang and then a misfire, the middle of the spark plug had come out at speed resulting in a dent in my bonnet, I removed the metal body of the plug left in the head, replaced the plug, problem fixed.

I changed the other three plugs today only to find lots of water down the holes, messy long job to remove and clean.

No sign of a leak or loss of coolant so the water must have come in from the top, either having used it a lot lately while it was pissing it down, alternator gone on other car, or from washing it.

In case the water has caused the plug to come apart, please could you check yours and let me know if you are suffering from the same.

Thanks Phil

I have added drain holes at the front of the cam cover, as the cant of the engine is wrong for the standard drain holes.

Simple process, and no more water in with the plugs.

I do use NGK Platimum plugs - but only purchase from what I hope are reputable sellers.

I had the original Ford plugs in that came with the engine so they should have been good.

I sell NGK plugs so I was gutted at paying £25 for a set from the nearest place to my car.

I found two drain holes at the back of the cam cover, did not think about the front, if the car is washed and not taken out for a spin, the water as you suggest may not drain, do you have any photos of the front drainage holes and what made you drill some?

Has anyone checked their cars yet?

Phil

Quoting SM25T: 
Quoting zetec: 
Always use copper grease on threads & never really use the car in the wet.

Always dry after washing.

Craig ... . It's a car, not a paper bag !!

*tongue*

They corrode quicker than an old austin allegro !!! 😬

Quoting Eugene: 
I have added drain holes at the front of the cam cover, as the cant of the engine is wrong for the standard drain holes. Simple process, and no more water in with the plugs.

I dont get water on my plugs because I have a Raceline BLING cover

AAAA.jpg

Simple process *smokin*

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 12 Dec 2013 16:30:42

Unfortunately the Bling cover doesn't stop the water fully.

Does help though.

I'll see if I can take some piccys of the extra drain holes, but may not be able to post them (or anything else) as my memberships runs out shortly.

But anyway, they were easy to do, and it was suffering with water in plugs 1 and 2 that made me look into the problem.

No problem at all since.

*cool*

The cover works fine for me, I have been in some pretty torrential downpours (Le Mans Classic 2008 *cry*) and never had a problem 😶‍🌫️

As Eugene says, the engine tilts forward in a Caterham so all you need to do is drill a 4mm hole either side at the front of the cover in the same place as the 'standard' holes that are at the rear. Probably best to drill them with the cover off rather than trying to drill through the pulleys 😬

Guy

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 15 Dec 2013 17:22:53

Quoting zetec: 
I have a bling cover waiting at raceline *thumbup*

Just need tution on how to make it fit! ( please) *tongue*

You need a couple of black cap head bolts from Margnor Fastners in Jacobs Well & some spacers. I'll get them for you next time I'm over there and then you can bring your car over & we can do it, a bit of cutting is needed to fit it to the Black Top.

Guy