Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Garage heating

2GBR

I need to spend several evenings this winter in my double none heated garage which is atttached to house with standard brick cavity construction. The ceiling is closed in with ply, But still very cold out there. I dont fancy connecting to the wet heating system as will involve floors up. I have a three bar electric heater which is good if standing in front of it but i expect expensive to run. I could find room for a wood burner and vent the chimney through the roof at single elevation without to much hassle, And access to plenty of wood, = Your thoughts please

If you go with the wood burner exit the chimney a few meters away from the burner to maximise the heat transfer, also place a bigger drum arround the chimney and feed air from the bottom of this drum and let it exit at the top.

This warm airflow will heat up the garage much faster

If you go the gas heater or log burner route please be careful regarding petrol vapours.

Gas regs say you must not have an open flue appliance in a garage if the car is kept there or stored petrol/mower.

I was once called to a property where there had been an explosion in the garage.

It was later proved the car had developed a fuel leak & the vapours eventually reached the pilot light on the old floor standing boiler.

I would just plug a fan heater in.

When I built mine I started in Feb and found a 3kw fan heater was fine. Double garage, open pent roof. Adjust the stat to optimum temp and it quickly heated the space. I confess I did have a wooly hat but then I don't have a wooly head, unless it was a late night the previous night. 😬

4 external single skin walls and a flat roof last winter for my rebuild. I used a small electric fan heater to help warm up, but an old pair of salopettes and fleece jumper under the boiler suit worked. Don't forget thermal socks , keeping the toes toasty makes a huge difference.

You could consider one of these;

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Heating_Index/Quartz_Heaters/index.html#Quartz_Heaters_DXCXD

Its the sort of thing used to keep our smoker firends warm when standing outside pubs!

Final option, bring the bits into the kitchen when SWMBO is out!

Phil B

Phil

We have a double garage with door into the hall. 1 half of garage under the house one side external with proper steels holding up the corner of the house i.e. no wall down the centre of the double garage.

I plumbed in a double panel double convector radiator a couple of years after moving in (new build in 2002) which helps maintain temp in the hall as well as keeping the garage at +10 deg C through the winter. I also put loft insulation in all the external bits of the roof. Two years ago I also insulated the two steel doors with 1" Kingspan stuck on with sikaflex which has made a massive difference.

I think insulation is equally as important as heating.

Ian

Thanks for all the help and advice, Standard clothing for the winter months is thermals, boiler suit wooly hat + or - leather welding apron, I would love to use a wood burner for the dry heat fact, But more hassle for bringing wood home to burn and the risk of vapour combustion as often washing engine parts with petrol/brake and clutch cleaner etc. I will go with sheets of kingspan on the doors and an electric fan heater, and possible an electric green house heater on a thermostat

Quoting oldbutnotslow: 
I have one of these.

here

Epic! Heats a double garage to 70 degrees in about 12 mins.

You have then to turn it off to work otherwise you will need to change into a pair of shorts!!

Small enough to be able to put it away in the summer.

This is what I use as well. Noisy but works really well. :-)

MM are doing vat free deals at the moment as well.

OK the heater may be small but it puts out 10kw of heat. A typical calor cabinet heater is around 4kw on the highest setting. Electric fan heaters are usually around 2 kw. So 5 times more heat than your average fan heater!

No condensation issues as it not something that you leave on for any length of time. (If you were to leave it on the Police would probably give you a visit on the basis of you having a cannabis farm!)

I dont have any codes for MM as I didnt need anything so have binned the e-mail - Sorry.