• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoting AndyD: 

Good to see your upgrades are already coming thick and fast *smile*

It was always inevitable 😬

Edited by - Smiffy7 on 26 Mar 2014 12:34:54

I'm expecting to receive the prototypes this weekend *thumbup*

I only even made a drivers side bracket but 'my guy' has managed to mirror (pun not intended) mine to make a passenger side bracket too *cool*

I need to check clearances, finish, and strength before I can put into production. The wait will be worth it *cool*

Thanks,

Andy

Ok, just got back in from the garage (yes its 11pm, but I only started at 8:30pm).

first I had to remove my aeroscreen and refit the windscreen. Had to find the missing windscreen bolts too 😳

The mirror bracket needs some minor clearance tweaks, and I may strengthening it too once I've done a road test to see if it vibrates.

hopefully my fabricator can come over next weekend where we can test and agree what's needed.

Maybe finished the prototype next month and we can then put into production *cool*

Just in time for summer *cool*

Cheers,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, I had to tweak the prototype to make it more stable on the road due to a change in material type, but its now finished *thumbup*

My original design was made in metal, but to make things lighter I have now made it from plastic.

I've made a drivers side in black and I'll take some pictures in the next couple of days for everyone to see the finished product and to re-confirm if they are still interested.

As it's taken a while to get this far, and to keep things simple for me *cool* you will need to source your own mirrors (it was too complicated given all the mirror variations people wanted). Sorry.

The brackets have been made with the 'Spa' type mirror to be fitted, and the base is shaped to suit. If I have enough interest in another mount type (single bolt rather than two bolt holes) then I may look to make one, but it depends on making a prototype for it given different angles etc. My current design has taken a long time to perfect re angles etc.

I will post some pics soon.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I am definitely still interested in a pair of brackets, please. I just did my first track day on Friday and had to resort to cable ties to stop the IVA mirror stalks falling off the car! On the plus side, Croft had the best weather of the year so far *cool*

Cheers,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sorry for he delay, I've been using my 7 😳shock horror

The bracket has passed a 'soak test' (sorry but I am an Engineer) test drive to France, a full track day, and the drive back last weekend (Folembray trackday with 29 others, was a great weekend 😬)

I will try and post some pic up tonight.

Thanks,

Andy

Pics can be found here *smokin*

The only colour is black, as can be seen in the pics above.

As my post above, this has passed all my tests, including a three day French road trip and trackday, so it is sturdy.

No additional screws are needed to mount the bracket, all you do is unscrew the two screws (screws with nylock nuts) that hold the door hinge into the windscreen stansion, place the bracket between the hinge and screen, and put the same screws back in.

The passenger side is the same but for me (being over 6ft tall) I can't see all of the passenger mirror from the drivers seat due to the position. I could make the bracket longer but then the two sides would not be the same and the passenger mirror would stick out further than the drivers side.

I looked at another 7 on the weekend which had mounted his mirrors on the windscreen sides, and he can't use all the passenger mirror either, and wasn't an issue for him.

I have run my 7 for over 13 years with only the drivers side and the center mirror (I had to buy a passenger mirror to develop the passenger side bracket!).

The brackets will cost £12 a pair with £2.50 postage (postage guessed at this stage but assumed to cover bubble wrap, enverlope and stamps). Happy to post outside UK but postage will be whatever it costs *cool*.

If you would like a pair (or more) of brackets then please post on here and blatmail me with the following details:-

Full Name

Blatchat name

Postall address

I will email a reply with bank details so you can pay.

Many thanks,

Andy