Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Provisional 2014 Speed Championship Calendar

Matthew Willoughby

Edited to remove Castle Combe ☹️ and add Aintree *smile*

As the championship dinner is not being held until February it is felt that the calendar for 2014 should be announced beforehand so people can plan holidays etc around the championship dates.

So here it is, the provisional 2014 calendar.

20th April Blyton Park Sprint (likely to be a 2 lapper subject to the number of entries)

18th May Curborough 1 Sprint

24/25th May Gurston Down Hillclimb

15th June Epynt Hillclimb

28th June Aintree Sprint

19th July Llandow Sprint

20th July Llys y Fran Hillclimb

3rd August Harewood Hillclimb

24th August Curborough 2 Sprint

31st August Loton Park Hillclimb

13th September Wiscombe Hillclimb

4th October Anglesey 1 Sprint

5th October Anglesey 2 Sprint

This is, of course, subject to change but we hope that everything will stay as per the dates below. It is much the same as this year but with some detail changes and the return of Wiscombe. We will look at the number of people competing at each venue as the year progresses so that we cull those that attract low numbers from future calendars. Those that look particularly vulnerable are Epynt and Wiscombe so you must support those events if you want them to stay.

The bi-annual Introduction to Sprinting Day will be held at Curborough on Saturday 5th April and we will be looking for willing volunteers to help out closer to the time. Please keep the date clear if you are able to help out. Our greatest challenge over the next few years will be dealing with the problem of falling numbers so we need to make a good impression to those who show an interest.

Edited by - New Comp Sec on 14 Dec 2013 14:16:57

Thanks Matthew. That looks a bit different and interesting. Good job. I look forward to trying Wiscombe for the first time.

Is there any chance Harewood might become a double header or are we limited to the number of events?

Oli

Hi All.

To be fair to Matthew and to give him a head start and time to settle in (plus the fact that the calendar comes together throughout the year) I have put next years dates together.

It needed a little shake up to rejuvenate it. Hence the Llandow and Llys y Fran move. It opens up May a good bit and it was felt that double headers were not appealing in terms of points scoring.

However we will be an invited club on the preceding day at Curbs 1 & 2, Epynt, Harewood and Loton. So for those wanting sneaky practice or make a weekend of it they can. Best of both worlds.

Enjoy.

*thumbup* looks great and a bit more balanced through the year *thumbup*

defo approve of the landow / llys-y-fran move as 3 consecutive weekends away was always tough, maybe a return to the scene of one of my tree moments is on the cards *smile*

glad to see Wiscombe back *thumbup*

still 7 of 13 to qualify 🤔

rob

Thanks for getting the info out so early, better distribution throughout the year but disappointed not to see Harewood as a double header again.

Double header weekends reduce the overall per event cost of attending, (virtually all race series have gone this route) for those of us who need to build up to a time gives double the opportunity to do that. Even if the same people do get the same results two days in succession you could quite honestly pretty accurately guess the result at the beginning of the year without ever competing at all

I did not note much boredom at Harewood this year and surely much of the success of Blyton and Angelsey was down to the amount of track time

Graham - I think we get invited to the Saturday as well, just wont count towards our championship, which as simon says is best of both worlds.

So for those only able to do one day can just attend the championship qualifier day, an those that want the entire weekend can enter both *thumbup*

although I must say having the Saturday as a championship event as well certainly made me try just that little bit harder and concentrate that much more. Although I did hear of someone (maybe of Saga membership) not realising it counted till some time later 😬

Also I do think having both events counting makes getting the 7 qualifying scores easier to do if both where to count, but I see the discussion from both sides, so happy to support Matthews and Simons view in this case.

rob

Again, thanks to Simon and Matthew for putting together another varied calender for next year.

As i'm close to Curborough, it's only fair that I should help out with the Intro to Sprinting day; just let me know how I can help.

Paul

Simon, Matthew

Good calendar and much better spread. Great to see Wiscombe back on the calendar! In two minds, about the double header at Harewood. Personally I love the venue so wouldn't mind having a double points weekend, but the single day will encourage more people to do other events so should increase attendance elsewhere. On balance, I think it's the right decision.

All I have to do now is find the time to do it and decide which class *eek*

I would be very happy to help again at the intro day so put my name down for that please.

Stuart

2014 calendar looks great. No more fixture congestion in May, a return to Wiscombe, glorious guranteed Welsh sunshine in July. No excuse for not getting to 7 events. The effort that goes into this is very much appreciated. When is the tech forum so class 2 can vote on banning orange cars and/or the under 35s?

AB

• 2 weeks later...

After much deliberation we have had to change the calendar.

Castle Combe had been moved to the end of July which would have made 4 events in three weeks.

It wasn't really viable.

So

Thanks to Liverpool MC we will be making a summer return to Aintree on the 28th June.

Everything else seems pretty sorted.