Click here if you are having website access problems ×

'Play' in quick release steering wheel boss

Quoting Guy Lowe: 
Quoting 6speedmanual: 

Whilst it is very obvious when stationary and fidgeting the wheel, there is no time I have ever neen aesre of it whilst driving. So there it sits doing what it does.

P

Exactly my thoughts, I don't notice it when driving on road or track, it's fine so why waste money changing it *confused*

Quoting James.S: 
The Rapfix one looks superb.

That's probably why most people spend all the extra money changing to a Rapfix, because it 'LOOKS GOOD' *rolleyes* *confused* *rolleyes*

Guy

I will hold my hand up to the latter point Guy. *smile*

Take out the large grub screw, and grind the point off, until you have a flat surface. It'll never come loose again.

Don't take too much off. Remember that the grub screw is there to give way to prevent the steering wheel smashing you in the chest in the event of a front end collision.

Can't say I'm too worried about that, as it's doubtful that this piece of rudimentary 19th century engineering would work anyway!

• 1 year later...

I just tried the PTFE tape fix. Putting the steering wheel on the first time is stiff and it's not so obvious it's located properly, but it does appear to work - play is removed. Removing the steering wheel reveals it to be all bunched up at the end, with nothing on the splines. Cheap too!

• Area Representative

The LifeLine QR on my steering wheel developed so much play that I sent it back to Caterham Cars under warranty - less than 12 months & 3000 miles under its belt!

LifeLine rebuilt it & so far with another year & 4000 miles it seems to be fine except for a slight amount of play.

Re-greasing gets rid of the play for about 1500 miles.

I have come across some QRs with play that remind me of the tractors & Mk1/2 Landies I used to drive as a kid. How do they pass an MoT?

There has to be a significant element here of poor design / manufacture, the loading applied to the spline of a steering wheel is minimal compared to splines used in transmissions..........

Prop to mainshaft or straight cut gears to mainshft splines last thousands of miles, handle serious amounts of tourque by comparision and in the case of the former are designed to slide too.

......all with no play.

TADTS is not an acceptable response from either CC or the manufacturer.

How do they pass an MoT?

You're allowed 13mm play at the wheel rim:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_220.htm

...which is more than double what ours had at the last MOT, which to me felt like quite a lot. We're moving to a rapfix.

The MOT manual appears to fail to mandate a steering wheel size that "13mm" applies to though, so if it's looking like a fail, fit a smaller steering wheel and the play at the rim will be reduced proportionately to wheel diameter.

*laugh*

• 1 year later...

bought a Liveline  Quick release from Caterham 4 weeks or  800 km ago.

It became loose now after only these few km, I also have a Racetech Quickrelease on a S3 since 2001 or  24000km and this has no play at all.

I have seen 2 other cars this week which have the same problem even more so.

Caterham does not seem to care about this.

Rgds

Hanns Per