Click here if you are having website access problems ×

'Play' in quick release steering wheel boss

Like many of you I guess, I have a Momo steering wheel mounted onto a Lifeline quick release steering boss, but it has developed some 'play' in it.

Is it likely to be the boss itself that has worn or the steering column/shaft?

Thanks.

Every time I've suspected play there, it has actually turned out to be play in the steering column joint above the pedal box - try re-tightening the clamp bolts there...

Take out the large grub screw, and grind the point off, until you have a flat surface. It'll never come loose again.

Oz

Quoting old gimmer: 
Who does the best deal on a Rapfix including upper column vat & p/p

Thanks for any opinions.

You don't get much choice. I think Plays-kool Motorsport are the only importers, and you can get them direct from them, or you can order through Carl at Seven Speed. Either way you're unlikely to get a discount, and they're currently out of stock anyway.

see here. £236 + post including the modified top-column.

Take out the large grub screw, and grind the point off, until you have a flat surface. It'll never come loose again.
Don't take too much off. Remember that the grub screw is there to give way to prevent the steering wheel smashing you in the chest in the event of a front end collision.

Steve

Quoting 6speedmanual: 

Whilst it is very obvious when stationary and fidgeting the wheel, there is no time I have ever neen aesre of it whilst driving. So there it sits doing what it does.

P

Exactly my thoughts, I don't notice it when driving on road or track, it's fine so why waste money changing it *confused*

Quoting James.S: 
The Rapfix one looks superb.

That's probably why most people spend all the extra money changing to a Rapfix, because it 'LOOKS GOOD' *rolleyes* *confused* *rolleyes*

Guy

Quoting Guy Lowe: 
Quoting 6speedmanual: 

Whilst it is very obvious when stationary and fidgeting the wheel, there is no time I have ever neen aesre of it whilst driving. So there it sits doing what it does.

P

Exactly my thoughts, I don't notice it when driving on road or track, it's fine so why waste money changing it *confused*

Quoting James.S: 

That's probably why most people spend all the extra money changing to a Rapfix, because it 'LOOKS GOOD' *rolleyes* *confused* *rolleyes*

Guy

If I were going to buy one I'd probably have to wash the car too!

Quoting Guy Lowe: 
Quoting 6speedmanual: 

P

Quoting James.S: 

Guy

Constructive input *confused*

Edited by - James.S on 20 Sep 2013 10:12:56