Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bilstein Reconditioning Service

Wrightpayne

Hi,

Been a few posts about this recently and as they are only two minutes from our house I popped in to see them. Their factory unit has full workshop facilities where they build all the new Caterham units (they were building this months batch when I was there). Eibach are based on the same industrial estate, however, Bilstein are not able to supply & fit new springs.

They offer a reconditioning service for Caterham supplied units at £80+vat per shock absorber. This includes complete replacement of all internal components for new to original specification, checking on their test rig and subsequent adjustments if necessary.

They can also re-bush the attachment points at a nominal extra cost and they can also arrange re-powder coating if requested, again at extra cost (via Arch). Also, they will remove and refit the original springs.

They do have quite a busy production schedule so if you need a quick turn around then phone to book a slot.

Contact details:-

David Masters - Workshop Manager

Unit 3 Swannington Road

Broughton Astley

Leicester LE9 6TU

01455 283407

email david.masters(at)kruppbilstein(dot)co(dot)uk

I am happy to help out getting them to and from Bilstein if GONADS can get them to my place or you can drop off at a weekend or evening.

Regards

Ian

That will be really useful if I ever rebuild my car. As my car is a 1996 car, with the older front suspension pick ups and through the de-dion tube mounting, Ive wondered how easy it would be to obtain new Bilsteins for my older design. Maybe this is the answer!

Quoting TomB: 
That will be really useful if I ever rebuild my car. As my car is a 1996 car, with the older front suspension pick ups and through the de-dion tube mounting, Ive wondered how easy it would be to obtain new Bilsteins for my older design. Maybe this is the answer!

I am currently in that exact predicament, Tom! We have the same chassis and suspension mountings. I've absolutely mullered my fronts recently, which I think are too far gone to even think about having them rebuilt. My rears seem OK though.

Slight hijack; Tom/Mankee I have two pairs of front Bilsteins to suit your chassis, I'm sure one set are 'MO', the other unsure, only numbers and possibly Xflow original spec?

I don't want a lot for them, and would rather they went to fellow Club members, you can even try before you buy! 😬

• 7 months later...

Just in case any one is thinking of getting their Bilstein dampers refurbed, Bilstein have moved premises. The new address is:

David Masters

Workshop Manager

7 Vitruvius Way

Meridian Business Park

Leicester

LE19 1WA

I've just had mine done and the service was excellent, with the turn round time being 1-2 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All

I was wondering if someone had there suspension reconditioned by Bilstein and if they could fell a difference after?

What is the life span of a damper? I probably only did 20k with the current one but they are possibly 10 year old

Jack

Could send them to Simon at Meteor for a spring test and a damping test then at least you would know what you have. But could be equal to a bilstein rebuild cost of course, Best to have it corner weighted after as well then you know you have done your best

I'll try and keep to the rules here by stating info only.

I have not had any set of dampers from any manufacturer over 4 years old that have been within a suitable tolerance.

One brand has a 71% failure rate where gas has escaped into the oil and emulsified.

You can not see this without testing and opening them up.

• Leadership Team

It's commonly accepted on bikes that shocks need a rebuild periodically, often every 30,000 miles - it becomes quite noticeable that the damping becomes stiff and no longer smooth. It's easier to tell on a bike because you have more feel for what's going on under your backside ( *tongue*) but why should shock absorbers on a car be any different?

Stu.

Well it may be a bit of placebo effect, but I do expect to feel some difference; Bilstein said of my front shocks that the oil was filthy and the seals were not in great condition. That said both sides of the front of my car had worn bushes so I've now changed them to Powerflex bushes, so clearly that will have a marked effect as well.

Simon

My problem is that I have issue trying to justify spending nearly £500 ( worst case scenario) for something which I am unsure I will feel the benefit.

What I need is to do is to borrow a brand new set to see if if I can feel the difference *wink*

Jack

Would you drive around with your brakes not working correctly?

Would you continue to drive with a leaking head gasket?

Would you continue to drive with a loose wheel bearing?

Simon, I'm sure Jack would not drive with any of those problems, but this is a bit different. Dampers can make a difference to car handling, but they are not in the same league as the examples you give.

My point was not so much as the danger Ben - more the fact that if there was anything on your car clearly broken or not working you would fix it.

How many times do you drive around these days seeing road cars/vans with a wheel bouncing along to its hearts content. Clearly the damper not working.

I stopped an old boy about 18mths ago - just collected his Alto from a Suzuki Main dealer first service. Wheel was going up and down like a YoYo.