Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma oil consumption?

Garth

Surprised to notice my oil pressure gauge wondering about on the way home from Caterham F1 visit today. Stopped and discovered that there was no oil registering on the dip stick! Topped up and pressure good again!

How much oil should I be expecting to use? Did not use any oil before my upgrade! Oil temp been running to low (am in process of addressing this) could that be a reason for it burning off?

If you have had an upgrade that means you use higher revs than before, you will use more oil.

My Sigma 125 uses hardly any oil on the road, but needs topping up when used at sustained high revs on track.

Duncan

have standard wet sump with baffle plate. No blue smoke from exhaust noticed, but will look more closely now! plugs are a healthy colour! I have a catch tank, but no oil in it - have had a few puffs of smoke out of the tank though? now revs to 7800 so quite a bit more than before! Hope no damage done - pressure did not drop completely - needle just started wavering between 40 to 50 psi rather than sitting at a steady 65 ish so very much hope no damage done?

My sigma with Caterham 150 upgrade doesn't use hardly any oil, on our recent road trip of over 1800 miles the oil was still on max mark when we got home, the car was often taken to 7500 revs.I do get a small amount in the catch tank but that's only oily water. How long since you checked the level ?

• Area Representative
Garth, can I ask what your Sigma oil pressure was like before the upgrade. I have a new Sigma 125, done 400 miles so far. Oil pressure, when cold stays around 4bar. When warmed up at idle it seems to drop to below 2bar, almost just above the Red. Whilst driving though the pressure returns to around 4 bar again. Been told this is normal for a Sigma but seems strange to me.

• Leadership Team

Quoting Garth: 
Just spoken to HWR and they recon that I could be using about 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles with the pistons and rings they put in my car!??
My 1900K used a not dissimilar amount of oil prior to me rebuilding it, but following the rebuild I did the "rag it from new" method of running it in and oil use is now negligible ...... you need to get the rings bedded in fully.

Stu.

Quoting nickhi: 
Garth, can I ask what your Sigma oil pressure was like before the upgrade. I have a new Sigma 125, done 400 miles so far. Oil pressure, when cold stays around 4bar. When warmed up at idle it seems to drop to below 2bar, almost just above the Red. Whilst driving though the pressure returns to around 4 bar again. Been told this is normal for a Sigma but seems strange to me.

same as mine. *thumbup*

Don't forget 5w30 oil is about the same viscosity as water when fully hot.

• 2 years later...

Some input, even if the topic is quite old, it can be useful for others : 

Caterham Sigma Academy from 2007

On the road : Oil use is less than a half liter per 1000 mile

On a track : 1 liter per trackday

Oil : Titan Race Pro 5w30. Maybe I should use a thicker oil for trackdays but I only do one or two trackdays per year, so I don't bother. I know that I have to check the oil level during the day.