Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Harnesses best option

sevenmad

When I looked at the options for my seven build 3 years ago I went with the standard cc "road harnesses". In retrospect this was a mistake. The lap strap is impossible to adjust in the car, or out unless you remove the base of the seat,and in use if you adjust the shoulder straps the lap strap seems to work its way from your lap towards your chest!

I'm toying with some Titon harnesses from seven speed. Has anyone got these fitted to an S3 with with leather seats and standard floors. Are they adjustable when in the car with the lap adjusters coming up from the floor? Or is there any better option. Use is for road with only occasional track days.

The titons seem much more competitively priced than the cc offerings!

Jonathan looking at previous threads i believe you have the adjusters for the lap strap coming from the buckle end,is this easy to adjust in the seat as space is limited across the seat space. I wondered whether having them at the chassis end so pulling the belt up rather than across might be easier?

S3, standard floors, factory upholstered seats, short-legged occupants.

My original factory-fitted belts were adjusted by pulling the strap up from the chassis fitting. This wouldn't work unless the occupant got out, I slid the seat back, and then did the adjusting.

My new Titon belt (passenger side) is adjusted by pulling the strap away from the buckle. This works fine.

Jonathan

I have the wide Titan harnesses with the adjuster at the buckle end and leather S type seats. I do struggle to pull them up whilst I'm in the car. That said they're still better than the previous harnesses which were the opposite way around.

I've adjusted the lap belts and just squeeze in a bit to do them up. Once done up and the shoulder straps are adjusted you do feel well held.

Ian

• Area Representative

When I put new harnesses into GJT, I too chose Titon. I called them directly (they are down in Bournemouth if I remember correctly) and spoke directly to the lady who makes them. She was very helpful.

Remember to specify that you would like the buckle on the waist strap. (for racing these are usually on the crotch straps to ensure that this section is done up.

Buckles should be on the central strap so that it never drops down on to the external panel and paintwork.

I did choose the "pull down/away from buckle" option as I had exactly the same problem regarding the Caterham belts as you (the adjustment somewhere beyond reach when seated). As I have a Tillet seat, I think this was the wrong choice, but it might work better in S-types (I could sit in the passenger side and compare it).

Titon use a T type fitment to the crotch strap. Caterham use a triangular fitting. I'm not sure how the best strap arrangment for the crotch strap is with the T fitting. Obviously I am keen to avoid rubbing and chafing (let along degloving *eek*) and I chose to cross the straps.

I have now sold a large number of these belts and Tessa's service is second to none.

She does find that our orders are more specific as we have learn't what a given customer needs and requires given their particular car set up/seat type and car usage.

She has never had a return for an alteration via ourselves.

We do make some adjustments to some of the spec. over standard when we order.

That's why we are different.

I'm trying to visualise all the options...

- if you go for the 'pull the strap upwards to tighten', am I right to assume tightening is easy (you're pulling upwards into the free space above your crotch), but loosening is difficult because the adjuster is down by the holes in the seat?

I bought a 'pull down towards the seat to tighten' Titon harness and am also wondering if the other way would have been better...

On mine (details above) it didn't work to tighten. It worked fine when the seat was slid right back. I never worked out if the problem was the seat jamming the belt against the adjuster, the seat changing the angle of the adjuster (which doesn't usually affect tightening) or the awkwardness of pulling on the short strap between the occupant's body and the side of the car.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan, all plausible reasons. I'll carry on with the (1) make best approximate adjustment out of the car, (2) sit down, connect, (3) breathe in, tug the strap downwards a little as best I can, rather than try a new harness.

I'm sure you're right but I have "Show Signatures" ticked in my profile and can't see anything, (Safari on OS X)...

... just toggled that setting "Off" then "On" and I still don't see them. Does anyone else have this problem with seeing sigs?

:-(

Thanks

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 21 Jun 2013 16:09:23

Sorry Jonathan.

I thought everyone saw sigs.

Tessa works for/runs Prima Motorsport who make Titon Belts. She is my main contact although I have also met Mark the owner - he is generally busy with other business which is largely ropes and strapping for industry.

Me - well I am Simon Rogers, Competition Sec for the Club and I run Meteor Motorsport. See back page of LF *thumbup*

i have the titon, made a big mistake in how i specced it, it's a real pita. give me a call if you'd like to talk it through.. .. as it happens i sat in the car only today and was swearing at the thing so its fresh in my mind.

my car is an s3 with tillets and centre buckled titon on driver side.

anthony