Click here if you are having website access problems ×

rear shunt

CPS7

what a great day at the 30th bash, ruined on way home by a tintop running into the back of us!!! no body hurt, and looking not too serious. Hopefully thier insurer will pay etc.

wheel cover trashed, but looks like its dented the tank too, where the carrier bolts got shunted, and bent the rear bodywork where the carrier and centre y piece attaches.

any thoughts what might else be b*****d!????

I had a Freelander do the same to me years ago, in my case it was a new rear panel, a bit of reshaping of the tubes at the rear whilst at Arch. We bent the spare wheel carrier back into shape and the whole lot was resprayed at TSK.

Bruce's comment was that they tubes out the back don't do anything particularly structural they are just there to provide the shape so he just bent them back to the right shape.

If the insurance are paying then I'd take it to a friendly 7 garage and get them to arrange everything.

Edited by - rgrigsby on 2 Jun 2013 12:31:14

Sorry to hear of your news. This also happened to me a few years ago. Fortunately I had no problem with the other party admitting liability and I insisted it went to Caterham for an assessment. Came in at a whacking £2,820!!!

Caterham assessed the damage as:

New rear basket

New fuel tank

New rear skin

Paint rear panel

But a lot of the quote was for labour, i.e stripping down the rear end, transporting to and from Arch/TSK and putting back together,

I convinced the insurers to pay me cash in lieu (but they won't pay the VAT) as I was going to rebuild the car anyway. As Rob says above, the rear is not structural and Bruce repaired the basket and I continued to use the tank and the indent was minimal.

It seems to be the weekend for it...

I was on an early trip down to Beaulieu on Friday when a Vauxhall Vectra failed to stop in a queue of traffic *nono*

Quite a bit of damage here but glad of the spare wheel that saved making a big mess of the wine in the boot 😬

Pushed into car in front so new nosecone needed as well ☹️

Made it down to Beaulieu thanks to Tony P and saw John from Redline so was able to arrange to have the estimate done soon.

Should be no problem with claim, so who is going to get to Arch first *smile* *smile*

Andy

Edited by - Andy Harding on 3 Jun 2013 00:05:10

Edited by - Andy Harding on 3 Jun 2013 00:06:32

Back of the queue you lot, my car's in first at Arch *tongue*

Rear end damage from a lorry a few months back, thankfully much lighter than in the photos above (glad no-one was hurt with your accidents guys). The damage to my car is almost too light as the insurance assessor is recommending repair rather than replace the rear skin which neither myself nor the Seven Workshop are happy to accept.

I would recommend the Seven Workshop as they can sort everything out for you and transport the car to and from Arch and TSK.

*smile*

Check everything - I had the same shunt a few years back and what looked almost cosmetic at first ended up with new tank, basket, skin, paint, spare wheel/carrier and 2 new wings. Insisted the car went back to CC for repair and they even stuck a new battery on it...

I have also recently had the same problems: here

In the end I trusted the power of BC and opted for SPY Motorsport (at the bottom of the thread) as they were very close (and also looked after the car when it was a racer). They provided the estimate, which was duly sent to the insurance company as the damage was more than a slight dent. (Fishy Dave - Stick to your guns, I have no idea how you would get a dent out of a perfectly flat rear panel).

In the end I did not need a new rear basket - just some tubes bent back to 'true', but I did need a new fuel tank (not punctured, but definitely dented, so not worth the risk) and obviously the new rear panel and painting. Metal work done at Arch and painting done by their in house team.

Hope all get sorted for everyone with the same issues...

Well, John from Redline has now looked at the car.

The damage extends along the side panel so it will need quite a stripdown and a new sideskin ☹️ ☹️

Blame has been accepted by the Vauxhall driver so the clam should not be delayed.

Not really the opportunity to put the Zetec in - Apart from the nosecone there is no damage at the front so I don't think the engine has to come out.

It will be off the road enough already this summer, so plan to get it back as soon as possible.

Getting lots of offers for loan cars. Of course they all go quiet when I say I want a Seven...

Has anyone ever managed a Seven for a short term hire as an Insurance deal?

I know there are a few places that hire them - would only want the odd weekend.

At least we have the Elise to play with, and luckily had already planned to take that on Holiday.

Andy

Sorry to hear about the car but glad you're OK.

One rear panel, one side panel, rear wing & nosecone. I assume TSK will re-paint the whole car as trying to match 20 year old patena will be difficult.

Wouldn't take much to strip it down for a proper re-build & most of it paid for by the other party.

Hello

Bad luck. Having had two rear end shunts (on track), in both cases I needed a new fuel pump in the fuel tank (as well as the other bits mentioned before). Make sure it's checked as it hangs on a plastic collar which broke in both hits but wasn't obvious as it's also suspended with a metal spring.

Hope you get sorted soon - a lot will depend on the insurance companies......

Cheers!

Joel

its back, all sorted, rear end, new tank etc all painted. I paid for the new hose/filter etc.

thanks to townley panel and paint! *biggrin*

bar a minor dispute about paying for it to be delivered back to me direct line where pretty good.

now where's the sunshine?