Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best jack

PC Pete

Hi

Now feed up with my cheap Halfords trolley jack and ready to buy a low profile one such as the Clarke one I see advertised.

Any shared advice / experience with this or any other low profile jack would be gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation

Hi Pete

I have a Costco jack that's low entry and 3 ton more than enough for the seven around £90 😬 *thumbup* also have a lightweight one for track days 1.25 ton low entry as well *wink*

Make sure you get a low entry version otherwise you'll struggle to get it under the front of the car

HTH *wavey*

• Area Representative

I've been pondering getting one of these

I'm fed up of having raise the car up onto blocks of wood before my existing jack will fit underneath 😔

All the best

Richard

Edited by - skeetsy on 18 Apr 2013 13:02:01

Roger (or anyone!)- do you know of any low entry ones that lift higher than the Clarke one? I have the crappy Halfords one, but am borrowing the Clarke one from a mate at the moment, and the max height it lifts is the only weakness it has.

Quoting Mucus72: 
Roger (or anyone!)- do you know of any low entry ones that lift higher than the Clarke one?

In the garage I use the one from the Blatchat "Direct-from-China" bulk buy of a few years ago. The one that SV Gary linked to looks like it might do the job.

Skeetsy's LED-tactic is appealing because of price, but if only I could get up one more hole on my axle stands then I wouldn't have to slip under with only a few cm to spare come service time. But then I am being a bit soft...the 100mm to 400mm needs some thought. Time to get out a measuring stick and get in the garage. Thanks for the excellent research and data Roger, this thread is a 'keeper'.

The ITC jack has a lift height of 445 mm compared to the 376mm lift height of the Clarke 1.25t jack - see herehere.

The min saddle height of the ITC jack is 85mm, marginally higher than that of the Clarke jack - see here.

I purchased the 2.5t ITC jack when I needed to change the discs on my XC90. My understanding was that the ITC jack was developed specifically for the RAC roadside assistance vehicles - hence the orange & black finish. For ease of use, and for use away from the garage (trackside) the Clarke jack is very good but for garage use I now use the ITC jack in preference to the Clarke jack for working on the Caterham - it is much more stable and lifts nearly 3" higher plus I keep blowing the seals on the Clarke jack ☹️. The ITC jack is a serious piece of kit and, for £120, great value in my opinion.

So we have two contenders:

Warrior: 79 - 455mm £100, probably free delivery but if not then £5.50

ITC: 85 - 445mm £120, shipping £4.95

Not keen on the orange and black livery, so the Warrior wins if you care about that sort of thing. On the other hand, the ITC has four wheels, whereas the Warrior has a front roller - and those get easily snagged on less than perfect surfaces.

Who's going to (a) get both and decide which is best (returning the other under distance selling regs) and/or (b) organise a bulk-buy on one or the other?