Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Evans Power Cool 180

CaterBram

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoting Nigel Fox: 
I don't think it's propylene glycol. According to the info posted by MereCat it's specific heat capacity is around half that of water so wouldn't have the benefits, also it's boiling point and freezing points don't match.
Evans quote a working range of -40°C to 180°C and a boiling point at 1 atmosphere of 180°C. The melting point and boiling points of propylene glycol are about -59C and 188.2°C.

Am I looking at a different Evans product from the one we're discussing?

Jonathan

Quoting Mad Hatter: 
It is not Propylene Glycol.That is the safe coolant that is water based. Evans Coolant is not water based.
Propylene glycol isn't water-based. You can mix it with water to make a useful engine coolant with good antifreeze performance.

Jonathan

Thanks, Tim. That's for "NPG+" and says

Ethylene glycol 66 to 70%

Propylene glycol

Water <0.10%

Proprietary corrosion inhibitor package <2%

But the current Evans FAQs include:
Is Evans Waterless Coolant toxic?

A. No, Evans Waterless Coolants contain Evans patented DeTox™ additive and has been classified as Non-Toxic by an EPA certified laboratory. However as with all chemicals, do not consume. Keep away from children. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Rinse hands and eyes with water after incedental contact.

That non-toxicity isn't compatible with anything containing 66% ethylene gycol.

Jonathan

Thats what I thought as well, a couple of other boards have Commented on the same thing, what I cannot understand is how they can be selling a product without an MSDS being available, especialy in the states, there seem to be a lot of other people asking whats in it, one guy e-mailed Evans, all be it last year and that's the MSDS he claims to have been sent .

more digging required I feel 😬

Tim

I have spoken to Evans and they will provide me with a description of the material contents which I will then post here,

I don't expect them to provide the full formula as that would obviously be giving away their income.

Most of the information you will find will be old information posted in the US many years ago.

Yes they did make a product years ago that was to thick to pump around the system - it didn't work. Its no longer sold and was never produced or sold outside of the US.

I'll get back to you when I have the info.

They are very helpful guys and a British company to all intents and purposes. The US side operates in the US only the guys in Swansea have the product for the rest of the world.

Thanks.

My predictions:

1 They make two types of products, one which is based on propylene glycol and one which is based on a mixture of ethylene glycol and propylene glycol. Both have very low water content.

2 + Corrosion inhibitor

3 + Something like fomepizole to decrease the toxicity of the ethylene glycol

4 + Wetting agent.

Jonathan

So after a heavy day of running, especially towards the end with almost back to back runs got to say i'm happy.

On my early runs when there was greater gap between runs,

initial water temp - 80 initial oil temp - 90

final water temp - 90 final oil temp - 100 to 105.

Later runs with little interval between

initial water temp - 80, initial oil temp 100

final water temp - 90, final water temp 110

normally at Curborough I would have expected to have gradually built the temp until peaking at 120 after a number of runs with only short intervals.

Each time both the water & oil temps came down more quickly than on other equally cool days. you may not be convinced, but at present I am, I will be monitoring through the season and will be paying close attention to water and oil temps at the longer venue's.

Quoting CaterBram Jnr: 
A normal run at Curb's starting with water at 80 & oil at 90 will see the oil peak at around the 115 mark over the finish line with water around 90.
Thanks for the follow-up data. What was the ambient temperature on the two days? How are you measuring the temperatures?

Jonathan

Ambient yesterday was around 5 Deg C, similar to the same time last year.

Temperature measure on a long scale Stack temperature guage with seperate probes for oil & water temp.

Water temp measured is INLET water temperature to the engine.

Quoting CaterBram Jnr: 

Later runs with little interval between

initial water temp - 80, initial oil temp 100

final water temp - 90, final water temp 110

normally at Curborough I would have expected to have gradually built the temp until peaking at 120 after a number of runs with only short intervals.

This is a really interesting thread - *thumbup*

To help me interpret the results I just want to confirm on a before (regular coolant) and after (Evans) basis that water temp seems to be about where you were before but oil temp peak seems to have come down 5 degrees on the later runs?

What engine spec are you running to give me a guide here?

My experience in a non-competition environment on my prior seven (2004 SV St170 zetec which ran at 90 deg water and 115 deg oil at its normal operating temperature with high speed runs spiking the oil up to 120 deg) was not to see any pronounced change in water/oil temps from using Evans other than slowing the intervals that the water thermostat/fan kicked in (so more efficient cooling there). Like you I was hoping to avoid installing an oil cooler on the zetec but Evans did not deliver the result I wanted. It was for this reason I have not bothered to use Evans in my current CSR Duratec which runs oil at 120deg on track despite having an oil cooler. I am intrigued to see it impact your oil temp so much.

Edited by - Croc on 4 Apr 2013 09:45:17

The results reflect my post of what should happen.

Coolant would remain the same as the thermostat has an influence.

Actual engine temp is lower (reflected by the oil temp) as the Evans has better coolant properties at high temps near the liners etc. It remains in contact with all surfaces and doesn't boil.