Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Water temperature question

Scott Dabinett

I recently swapped my normal radiator that was leaking for an Ali one, was a but of a bastard to bleed but got there in the end! Now when I just drive it normally the temperature is at about 90-95 but when I give it some stick the temperature drops to 80!

I know there is obviously more air flow when going faster but does it really cool it by 15 degree's?

Thanks

Scott

Hello Scott,

If you have a K series the little brass temp sender in the water rail are notoriously prone to going Kaput. When they do they can over read more and more until it needs replacing (cheap and easy to do)..if your reading high (mine shows 90 at the mo cos the sender is beginning to fail) this could be the reason. Not sure about the definitive answer in terms of the temperature drop someone else who has done your upgrade may be able to help...i wont guess or it will muddy your water. If your car is a K then probably worth ordering a couple of senders and changing it for peace of mind (2 minute job). Any problems on that count or more info just shout. *wavey*

When I changed my rad (or rather when Richard Young did!) from standard to a RadTec Extreme, I did notice the temperature dropping with spirited driving! However, not by that much!

I agree that it sounds likely to be an airlock or the temperature sender.

Simon

It's a K with a feckin big alloy rad, the weather is feckin freezin and the wind chill is huge try driving hard down the road in a T shirt and see how you feel.

It's overcooling once your pushing on in this weather, the water coming into botom of engine is too cold the stat is totally confused and wants to go to Florida for a holiday.

Cut out a lump of card and block off bottom 1/3 to 1/2 of rad go for a drive and se what happens

I always run in winter with bottom of rad closed off.

The Thermal shock isn't doing your engine much good either.

Been driving a K for 16 yrs works for me

Quoting Johnty Lyons: 

Cut out a lump of card and block off bottom 1/3 to 1/2 of rad go for a drive and se what happens

I always run in winter with bottom of rad closed off

But, why we don't need to do this to a tintop?

Ahmed

Quoting Scott Dabinett: 
I know there is obviously more air flow when going faster but does it really cool it by 15 degree's?

Air lock aside, your water pump will be operating faster if you are at higher revs, increasing the flow rate to the radiator.

Edited by - keybaud on 28 Mar 2013 17:15:58

Quoting Johnty Lyons: 
the wind chill is huge try driving hard down the road in a T shirt and see how you feel.
But wind chill won't lower the temperature of an inanimate object below ambient (unlike the guy in the T-shirt). Agree about the blanking card.

JV

I jumped through this hoop a while back. I was convinced that I had an airlock, but after so many attempts at filling by different methods (and after getting through seemingly gallons of coolant), I did what I should have done in the first place, which was to change the thermostat. As soon as I did that I was back to 80c steady temp.

I have a theory (based purely upon the number of times this crops up). When you break into the cooling system I think 1 of 2 things happen - 1) a thermostat on it's way out suddenly gets tipped over the edge or 2) the thermostat was already over the edge but you didn't notice because you gauge was turned to oil temp instead.

Don't have the part number to hand, but I took the old one into Halfrauds and got a replacement for six squid. Filled the coolant very slowly - didn't bother with jacking or bleed tees or anything like that (caveat here is that I don't have a heater) - all worked hunky-dory after that....

I think the standard was 88C

Some of us have changed to 82C for peace of mind.

The QH thermostat from Halfords includes the rubber seal that goes round the outside of the flange ... inside the housing. Note the thermostat only fits in one way round so be careful to work out which way is up before drilling the 3mm hole.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 29 Mar 2013 18:52:08

Quoting John Vine: 
Quoting Johnty Lyons: 
the wind chill is huge try driving hard down the road in a T shirt and see how you feel.
But wind chill won't lower the temperature of an inanimate object below ambient (unlike the guy in the T-shirt). Agree about the blanking card.

JV

Correct but wind chill will cool said inanimate object much quicker...

Quoting Neil66: 
Quoting John Vine: 
Quoting Johnty Lyons: 

JV

Correct but wind chill will cool said inanimate object much quicker...Also correct, especially if said object is wet.

JV