Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T: Heatkeeper behind home radiator panels, any good?

Steve-B

Like a lot of folks, I'm always curious of new ways to improve heating in the house and not to pay the energy companies any more than I have to.

I read an article on Heatkeeper panels a few days ago and am wondering if they're just snake-oil or of any real benefit?

Curious if anyone here has used them, for feedback….

In the 70s I help my dad with fitting sheets of turkey foil, shiney side out, behind all the rads.

Simply suspended with Blutac, the walls behind now felt cool whereas previously they were definitely quite warm.

There was plenty of convection.

The foil solution is still in use 30+ years later, although it tended to be renewed when rooms redecorated.

I believe that product you show would work.

The saw tooth promoted convection looks like a lot of unsubstantiated marketing waffle.

Turkey foil would be a fraction of the price.

Enjoy!

Peter

THanks Peter and JK, I appreciate your points…!

I thought quite a bit about these after reading on them, as internal solid walls aren't something I can get insulation into. Decorating wise, I agree that thick foil probably would work as well, and definitely be far cheaper. I just want to get maximum heat into the room and not lose what I don't have to.

Cheers!

I fitted these behind the radiators in the Autumn & put one of these up the chimney. They both made a significant difference to the available heat, I had to turn the main thermostat down a degree & restrict the flow in the radiators as the place was getting too warm. Can't say how many £ it will save but the heat is much more even in the house.

I cut the hardboard (or ply) to fit between the radiator brackets, and fixed the batten to the top of the hardboard with enough overlap to rest on the brackets. Nothing touching the wall or damaging the paintwork. No need to remove the radiators.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 2 Feb 2013 13:36:35

• Leadership Team

After fitting some laminate floor I had half a roll of underlay left - it's a thin foam type material that has foil on one side. Gradually using it up by glue a piece to the wall behind each radiator as I re-decorate. Very effective and cheap from places such as floors 2 go.

Old house with mostly radiator covers so hidden anyway

Stu.

Quoting Jerry: 
I fitted these behind the radiators in the Autumn & put one of these up the chimney. They both made a significant difference to the available heat, I had to turn the main thermostat down a degree & restrict the flow in the radiators as the place was getting too warm. Can't say how many £ it will save but the heat is much more even in the house.

Was your system unable to attain the thermostat's set temperature beforehand?

Doesn't that imply that one has to take the radiators off of the wall vs. other suggestions of a wooden batten with the foil hooked to it you can just drop down behind the radiator and achieve the same with less mess, work and fuss?

Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
We just glue it to the wall (paper) with PVA.

@Steve-B . It is very easy to fit. You simply cut it to size plus a bit of extra length, fold the top over a couple of times, slide two or three of the plastic channel clips (that come with it ) over the foldded edge & they hang on to the radiator brackets. What I liked about it was that it is easy to remove & replace for decorating/cleaning etc.

@ Caharlie_pank - I take your point. It was able to. We have a combo of a main stat & individual radiator stats (in some rooms) & the main stat seemed to constantly be calling for heat & we found it difficult to balance the heat well across the house. I did at one time think the main stat was faulty but doubt that now. To be fair, I suspect fitting the chimney balloon has been the major contributor to retaining heat, but as I fitted both the Radflecks & Chimney Balloon at the same time it's difficult to be sure (I realise I should know better than to make two upgrades at the same time, which creates diffculty in tracking which has had the major impact on performance but that's typical of my upgrade behaviour *smile*) .

What I know for sure is that we can now have the main stat set a degree lower then it previously was & the house is generally warmer.

Edited by - Jerry on 3 Feb 2013 17:56:49