Click here if you are having website access problems ×

boot poppers

Grandmaster Flatcap

Thanks for all your helpful comments everyone. I have bounced the issue off Tristan at SBFS to see if he can throw any light on why my cack handedness is failing to achieve the desired result but to answer your question Jonathan, I'm not sure if the issue is with the reach of the riveting tool. Jim, John, thanks for the suggestion about a tap screw, I may well try that.

This is the first time I have posted a query on the forum but what a fantastic resource and it's great to know that there is such a wealth of advice and knowledge in the ether! Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for everyone's assistance. The issue proved to be that the diameter of the existing holes was too large to allow the rivets to bite and so the judicious application of some metal filler allowed us to drill a finer hole and et voila!

You need a backing washer.

Rivet - popper base - vehicle skin - washer

then Rivet it, making sure the nose of the rivet gun seats on the rivet head, and teh rivet head it pressed in tight to the popper base.

Filler will pull out again.

The washer wont.

I turned down the nose of my rivetter to alow it to sit correctly in the base. works brilliantly now

HTH Dom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi guys, I’m trying to add 2x poppers to my existing boot lid. I have the rivet gun, rivets and the little popper fitting kit. Someone mentioned that there was a How To video in the FAQs section on how to do this, but I can’t find it. 

Can someone post a link to it please? I wanna make sure I’m ready with all the right bits in the right places before I get started... 

thanks 

Thanks Jonathan. I’m looking to finish this job today - can you elaborate on the issue of getting the nose of the gun into the recess? 

Or is this what you’re talking about Grubbster? 

I have filed down the shoulders of the rivers so they fit fully inside the hole of the popper base if that’s what you are referring to. 

Also I see that with the existing poppers, there is a small washer on the inside of the boot panel which the rivets sit up against. Presumably to add strength against the years of unpopping that will follow? 

I’m going to look for some similar washers so I can do the same on the new ones. 

Thanks 

The removable nose on many rivet guns is too big to go fully in and seat inside the popper base. The result is the rivet isn’t pulled tight. 

The solution is to machine down the nose or put a small nut or some very small washers down the rivet mandrel, into the popper to fill the gap. They come out with the mandrel after fitting  

What ScottR400D says above, and posts #7 to #11.

I have filed down the shoulders of the rivers so they fit fully inside the hole of the popper base if that’s what you are referring to. 

Rivets or rivet gun? I wouldn't do that to a rivet. The discussion above is about reducing the size of the nose of the rivet gun, not the size of the rivets.

Also I see that with the existing poppers, there is a small washer on the inside of the boot panel which the rivets sit up against. Presumably to add strength against the years of unpopping that will follow? 

I’m going to look for some similar washers so I can do the same on the new ones. 

Posts #30 and #31 for the positioning.

Jonathan

As this thread is about half hood side poppers rather than general poppers on the boot, I thought I'd share what I did when I fitted my half hood.

I wasn't really keen on the 'stacked' popper idea, and I noticed that there was a rivet on almost the same place, but inside the car, one of those holding the interior panels on.

I drilled these out, and replaced them with a popper base, and then refitted the popper top on the strap the other way round:

ZgxYGEXKVyejJ_P--fgtPWjrfuM6_zPZBJtQvocP

RHJYmTbqgFzdsLMvWNyeWLJW7on5hAyQGLxRQWc-

I have since upgraded these with Tenax fittings, as I found the sideways pull on the poppers was too much for standard poppers. The Tenax base I used was a self tapping one, and the lift button button on the strap resists the hood pull very well, and is easy to remove when you lift the button.

download.jpg.ee8ed50ce89d373d2169a023b794e4fe.jpg

I think this is a better solution to the half hood side straps, and avoids any alteration on the boot cover.

Cheers - Ian