Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing a burnt out loom

Tyrone

Looking at what I need from the Vehicle Wiring Products catalogue, is this a reasonable take on cable sizes:

Thinwall 0.5mm², 11 amps. (general wiring and guages)

Thinwall 1mm², 16.5 amps. (Side & tail lights, reversing & rear fog lamps, horn,)

Thinwall 2mm², 25 amps. (Head Lights, fog ,windscreen wiper motor, Fuel Pump, all dash earths)

Thinwall 4mm², 39 amps. (Ignition)

or

Thinwall 6mm², 50 amps. (ignition)

• Leadership Team

Discovered today that my mum has a proper Autocom headset that isn't being used ..... they have a motorbike with sidecar and she's decided my dad needs to concentrate on the road these days and not talk to her whilst he's driving/riding ... he's 75 today 😬 Opportunity to pull a set apart and see what can be improved *thumbup*

Stu.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it looks like have all the smoke in the wires again, but I have a question.

I used a live feed from the ignition to the lights switch as this is shown on the wiring diagram from Caterham. I think this was not as the car was originally, as I could leave the lights on without the ignition on. All traces of that were gone! However, I reckon this will cause bother with the switch at some point due to the current the lights draw. This will happen more quickly if I ever forget and switch off the engine with the lights on.

Could I feed the light switch direct from the cut-off switch through a fuse in an external fusebox (I bought this to replace in line fuse holders for the accessory socket and the intercom)?

Is that OK? If so, what fuse should I use (Discussion with my team ranges from 20A up to 30A) and what wire should I use. I need wire big enough to cope with 30A continuous and 45A momentary. The same feed to the light switch powers the flash switch and you could flash the lights at the same time as having dipped beam on plus of course the rear lights. So a max of 45A.

Edited by - Tyrone on 3 Oct 2012 16:34:57

Could I feed the light switch direct from the cut-off switch through a fuse in an external fusebox (I bought this to replace in line fuse holders for the accessory socket and the intercom)?

I would have thought so, but...

...have you considered the scenario where you are driving along at night and have cause to kill the FIA feed before you can stop the car?

Unlikely, I know, but it might be preferable to reduce the lifetime of the main lightswitch rather than pretending you were the Jap team from Canonball Run... *tongue* *wink*

Quoting Tyrone: 
Well, it looks like have all the smoke in the wires again, but I have a question.

I used a live feed from the ignition to the lights switch as this is shown on the wiring diagram from Caterham. I think this was not as the car was originally, as I could leave the lights on without the ignition on. All traces of that were gone! However, I reckon this will cause bother with the switch at some point due to the current the lights draw. This will happen more quickly if I ever forget and switch off the engine with the lights on.

Is that OK? If so, what fuse should I use (Discussion with my team ranges from 20A up to 30A) and what wire should I use. I need wire big enough to cope with 30A continuous and 45A momentary. The same feed to the light switch powers the flash switch and you could flash the lights at the same time as having dipped beam on plus of course the rear lights. So a max of 45A.

Doesn't this depend on the presence or absence of a relay for the high-current lights? See posts above.

Jonathan

Quoting Myles: 

I would have thought so, but...

...have you considered the scenario where you are driving along at night and have cause to kill the FIA feed before you can stop the car?

Unlikely, I know, but it might be preferable to reduce the lifetime of the main lightswitch rather than pretending you were the Jap team from Canonball Run... *tongue* *wink*

What's the point in the an electrical isolation switch that doesn't isolate all the electrics? I could just as easily say the same about the indicators, or the hazards, or the windscreen wipers etc...

Myles, not for the first time you leave me baffled *confused* 😬 What does the Cannonball Run reference mean, all I remember is Jackie Chan in a Subaru. Did they have some kind of stealth mode or did they just burst into flames?

My car never had a headlamp relay! Apparently, the headlight switch on my car (older cars) is allegedly designed to switch the full currents for the lights.

The lights worked without the ignition being on which means I had a live wire connected to the input terminal on my headlight switch. This wire wasn’t fused and probably came from either the same place as input to the fusebox or even direct from the battery. When I pulled the switch out of the dash this live wire or the feed wire to the lights may well have earthed against the metal dash. The lights were stuck on so the output terminal on the switch was live as well.

The switch I bought to replace the burnt out one came from CBS or VWP, I can't remember and may not be rated for a live feed, so I have ordered a replacement from Redline. They don't know the rating but it is the one they've supplied since 1981. They think it's odd that my lights aren't running through a relay, but I know mine is not the only one.

I have space in the new relay holder for another relay, so I am going to make the mod.

Whatever gets hooked up will be hooked up to the isolator. Jackie Chan! Hi Ya! 😶‍🌫️