Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo problem

alan c

Car is 94 HPC with normal type 9 box and standard Caterham speedo.

All working fine on drive down to coast this morning but on way home speedo became very erractic varying from 0 to 140 when I was cruising at a steady speed. As far as I can tell the trip meter and mileometer are both working.

Am I correct to think that if the miles are still working its not a cable issue and more likely to be a problem in the speedo itself? Will also need to try and look at the sender I assume.

If so any suggestions on where I can get it repaired.

Needs to be quick leave for France in just over three weeks.

Alan

• Area Representative

Alan

Sadly repairs take longer than that, so I hope it is as simple as a cable issue.

The variable indication despite steady speed is one of the characteristics from which GJT suffered and that needed an instrument repair.

The repair was excellent value and it returned looking as new. If I remember correctly you will need http://www.speedycables.com/contact.html

Edited by - Golf Juliet Tango on 19 Aug 2012 20:57:17

• Area Representative

Alan

I can not be sure but...

... as my mileometer was reading correctly, I thought it was the instrument (specifically the dial part of the instrument) rather than the cable. I confess *redface* I didn't think about the cable (maybe I could see no reason that it should develop a kink and visually it looked as it had always looked).

GJT - that was my initial thought. Logic being if trip meter etc was working I assumed that meant cable was still working so something connecting to the needle has broken.

Will see if I can take it out in morning and will make some calls based on what I find will decide on next steps.Not had a look yet but assume speedo comes out easily.

Alan

I have used SpeedyCables for a recalibration of my speedo some four or so years back. Yep six weeks to the day for returns. Although a lengthy turn around i am delighted with the work and service.

How do I tell if it's the cable or the instrument

Re your cable. Easy to do.....Disconnect cable from rear of speedo and for ease wrap a sighter flag around the square drive...ie masking tape or the like.

Roll car forward and the drive should rotate you'll see the flag rotating or you should ! *smile*

You should also be able to remove the inner drive from the outer sleeve with ease.....that is providing there is no bird cageing with in. ie the cable twist hasn't started to unravel.

I feel that provided you see the inner drive rotate and it is free then said cable i would have thought be fit for service.

Not experienced this problem myself so just a few thoughts to be getting on with. Hope you get sorted for your trip to France.

Ok speedo now out of the car and as far as I can tell the the inner cable is moving freely but will try the trick with a marker and see if it moves when I move the car. That will have to wait for the morning as no space in the garage.

However fairly certain it is the speedo, when I turn the drive at the rear with my fingers it is very loose and I can see the needle moving off centre as if it is no longer fixed, also easy to spin it and do 140 mph albeit it is still erratic.

Guess I will be hitting the phones in the morning!

Thanks for all the tips, any other suggestions on repairs gratefully received.

Alan

• Area Representative

Alan

Whilst you drive, is the tripmeter (more use as it shows 1/10ths) revolving steadily when you are travelling at a steady spped (use an M-way for this! *tongue*). If it appears to be fairly steady, I'm afraid it is the dial.

Now that I think more about this, this was the case for me.

I had this many years ago on a Mini Marcos. I think the cable spins a magnet in the speedo head very close to a steel disc directly attached to the speedo needle. As the magnet rotates faster, the steel disc is pulled further round the speedo dial. Magnet and disc are VERY close to one another so it only takes a bit of grit, or as was my problem, grease/oil to come off the cable into the mechanism and you get the symptoms you describe. The mechanism is delicate but it can be cleaned - solvents etc. but be careful!

Remember I'm digging up memories from40 years ago and your speedo may not work this way!!

Tony

For an alternative to Speedy Cables for instrument repairs, I used John Ostick to fix my tacho that liked to overread by miles (no pun) when the revs got to over 6,000rpm. My tacho had been previously repaired/modified by Speedy Cables for the previous owner, but John fixed in and returned in about a week. His website is: http://www.jdo1.com/

Update as promised.

Speedo sent to JDO on Monday and it's back today. All the obvious issues I could see before I sent it away have been fixed but not had time to put back in car and test.

So far big *thumbup* for JDO - four days compares very well to the 4+ weeks that seems to be the norm for speedy cables.

Will update again once in car and tested.

Alan