Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Half Hoods

PizzaOvenKing

Quoting John Vine: 
Agree 100%, Steve. Although I suppose the standard hood would be easier to live with if it were made from the same cloth-type material as the half-hood. Two things put me off the standard item very early in my 7 career: the inflexible material (especially when cold) and the fiddly velcro fastening around the upper hoodstick. I've had an SBFS half-hood for over 12 years now, and I'm very happy with it.

JV

Don't look at the Oxted website then or on ebay, as you will find they do full hoods in mohair.

I have just bought one and it is very well made *thumbup*

Service from them was also good.

When it come to half hoods, I also fall into the same camp as CB with respect to service.

Apparently they were prioritising orders for Le Mans - a long journey, but I was off to Toulouse 😔

I'll never forget my sunburnt nose peeling like a snake sheds it's skin!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Ian B, I drive LE0 in all weathers, 365 days a year, and have found that the half roof plus draught reducer stops virtually all water getting in, regardless of how heavy the rain is and that includes being drowned by other vehicles driving fast through standing water - or me doing it, for that matter. The only place water gets into the car is through the gap behind my right shoulder - and that only occurs when I stop and it drips (oh and the heater intake, but the roof doesn't cover that! *biggrin*).

I also keep my half roof attached at the back and sides, rolled up on the boot - unrolling it and clipping it in place takes seconds.

I have recently taken delivery of a shower cap, which proved itself on holiday when it rained heavily all night for two nights but the car was bone dry inside.

The full roof has its place, and in the very worst of weather will obviously out-perform the half roof, but for anything other than the extremes, the half roof, plus the draught reducer when travelling, followed by the shower cap when parked in the open overnight, is more than adequate.

I have not used the full hood for ages but do carry the half hood all the time.

IMO the half hood has its place but after my experience in the Isle of Man last year, the rain went under the hood and the tonneau *rolleyes*

Half hood used alot yesterday, fine spray comes in from the back plus road grit etc. Although that may be due to Markiebabes taking us offroading *tongue*

• Area Representative

Another *thumbup* for the half hoods, never use the full hood but nearly always carry the half hood. Used to find that fine spray came back into the cockpit and could get you quite wet and also make sure when you park that you face into the wind so as the rain can't blow in from the back

Bought a draft reducer which I must admit seems to make no difference when normal running but certainly cuts out all spray now when the half hood is on *smokin*.

I am just back from a day at Soft Bits for Sevens, what a great setup.

I had a half hood made for my SLR caged car. The car is also fitted with a windscreen but the were mocking one up too for SLR caged cars without the screen as they have had some requests.

I must say I am really impressed. I also ordered a shower cap with modified sides (I can't run with doors because of the cage so needed to fill the gap!) and the boot liner too. Coupled with the boot cover fitted a couple of weeks ago I am really pleased, the quality is superb and they have excellent attention to detail. They were great hosts too, and put up with me all day!

SBFS tonnau, half hood, shower cap ..... top kit..... makes the car an all year round motor. All three have their uses alone or in combinations. They are near chichester. google them and the orange bomb is pretty much on the spot. *wavey*

I have been giving the boot a bit of a clean today and actually raised the hoodsticks for the first time in about 3 years having switched to the 1/2 hood a few years ago.

It crossed my mind that it would give me better entry into the boot area *thumbup* and, of course, I would be adding lightness if I removed the hoodsticks altogether *thumbup* *thumbup*.

Has anybody out there who has removed them got any opinions on the downside of removing them (other than the obvious one of not being able to use the full hood) 🤔

Quoting Blacken: 
It crossed my mind that it would give me better entry into the boot area *thumbup* and, of course, I would be adding lightness if I removed the hoodsticks altogether *thumbup* *thumbup*.

Has anybody out there who has removed them got any opinions on the downside of removing them (other than the obvious one of not being able to use the full hood) 🤔

YesQuoting TobyCoulson: 
Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
I ditched my hood sticks and got a low-profile boot cover from SoftBits. *thumbup*
*thumbup* here is mine before and after.Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 10 Aug 2012 10:43:31

Quoting Blacken: 

Yes what to do with them once they are removed. I thought about making a cold frame out of them for lettuces 😬

Returning to the half hood topic, the only problem I have experienced is water ingress if there is a side wind which forces the side screen to move so that there is a gap in the roofline which the becomes a steady trickle. *thumbdown*

On the whole though it is a much better product and will fit in the CC hoodbag. *thumbup*