Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Origins of parts

classic1952

Being new to Caterhams, and having had a few problems sourcing parts, I wonder if a list exists detailing the origin of the mainstream parts used by Caterham? For example, Sierra rear calipers. What year are they and what is the Ford part number? I have Googled this but so far cannot find anything.

If such a list or site exists, can anyone provide a link?

thanks

Greg

I heartily agree, as long as they are in stock, but there are several items I have wanted in the last few weeks that have been out of stock, and remain so. I have spent a lot of money with Caterham since buying my car in May and will continue to do so. What I am not prepared to do is leave the car off the road for weeks waiting for some minor part, the absence of which renders the car illegal or unusable!

I use caterham for all current parts. Darren has always looked after me well over the years. The only suppliers i go to direct are for things that caterham don't do any more (for the 21) or are seriously long term out of stock.

Don't forget that bypassing the manufacturer of our cars for too much won't do them much good and we'd all like them there for the long term!

If there are service and delivery issues, best bet is to tell them so they can fix them.

This topic comes up quite often and then goes away again.

There is often a lot of a praise for Darren's helpfulness.

The question of delivery charges from Caterham never seems to resolve. The prices on the website look high, but IIRC there was some question about the website being too inflexible to display the correct value for the carrier they use. Please could people who have bought something recently tell us if they paid the price that was shown on the website.

Thanks

Jonathan

I appear to have opened a can of worms!

Caterham have been very helpful to me on nearly every occasion and I will always use them unless the part is out of stock. On the subject of delivery charges, the website appears to default to £10 as a minimum, whereas a phone order for the smaller items results in a sensible charge. I have also found that some items shown on the website as out of stock have been available when i phoned.

My original question was whether or not a site existed which detailed the source of the mainstream parts that Caterham use, as this could prove useful.

I know the calipers are Sierra, as are the diff and gearbox. A bit more obscure is the repeater indicator, which has been out of stock for weeks on end. I discovered they were also fitted to London taxis and sourced one on eBay. Hardly a great loss to Caterham and it prevented an mot failure/car off road situation!