Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres for fast touring

diggerman

My Roadsport 150 SV is now in its third year (10,000 miles) and the standard Avon ZV3 tyres still look like new. They really refuse to wear, and don't grip much either!

Everyone says that better tyres transform the car, so am looking for recommendations. I want to continue using the 14in wheels and have tyres for wet and dry rapid road use. What do POBC recommend?

PeterC

AO21s here too. Used to fast-tour on R888s but was having problems with them lasting the distance (typical international tour being around 4k miles, two-up with as much luggage as you can reasonably attach to a rollbar!)

I've always got them shipped up to Scottingland from JP and then had them fitted locally.

Quoting rgrigsby: 

Just to provide another perspective I used Avon CR500's which have been greater, they are more expensive but last longer and are a good all round tyre.

I didn't think that they made them for a 14" wheel Rob?

I too advocate CR500 but as the man says, he wants to stick with 14 inches.

My now infamous Kumho winter tyres are nearing the end of their life, having been ragged remorselessly over 4 winters. My next set of winter tyres will be a set of CR28 Sport in 185/60x13.

Peter

Actually, I uses, and thoroughly recommend, 13" rims with 021Rs of 185/70/13 spec 😬

The slightly higher side wall helps with 'normal' road conditions, and means you can run slightly harder shocks/springs.

And the improved clearance height is a real help...

My travelling partner for the two-week trip (ending up at CLM) starting next week uses the same spec as Eugene.

One significant advantage is that that profile is subsidised and much cheaper (last time I checked) than the others. That aside, my pal has a delicate custom sump on his Blackbird-engined 7 - and the extra ride-height is of great benefit to him.

I'd fit them myself - except that I'd need to redo the cycle-wing stays - the taller tyres just wouldn't fit underneath my current ones.

too sticky tyres damages the old Caterham . My O32 yoko damaged the cooling fan coil of my 1989 sprint 7 in two parts.

They broke the chassis tube of a 2L Vx ...

May be better and more fun with a tyre like CR500, a 021 or a road tyre .

But less efficient if you want to race with friends

I run CR500 on road - used to be the only tyre designed for the 7.

Yes, it's expensive, but they grip well and last a reasonable amount of time. Longer than the A021 I had before did. The only snag is they don't exist in 14"...